can a net provider block ICS ??

My luck cometh!

Hey all,

I've got this exact same problem. I cannot for the life of me find out what the heck the problem is...

There is pc1, mine, and then there is pc2, my mom's - in the study. Now I share my internet connection, but pc2 can't surf internet or d/l mail. pc1 can surf fine, and pc2 can even instruct pc1 to dial up, and the modem does so successfully. But pc2 still can't make a connection. It even asks me to sign up for a .NET passport, so it does detect some sort of connection, but IE and Outlook can't see anything.

I did have it working a while ago, without any hardware being different that time round. So it must be a software setting somewhere...but where?

" DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 "

thats not right, cuz i don't think your adsl computer is running a dns server app..
if you can use the connection and all but just can't go to sites, that would be the problem.. change your dns to your isp's dns servers, and it should work fine
dns servers go in your nic's tcp/ip properties, call your isp to get the dns ips if u dont know em

or, if your dsl modem supports 2 connections, you could put the modem into the hub's uplink port and network that way.. unshare the server's connection and setup one on the other computer..
most isp's i've seen, including mine (sympatico), support this

Well, one more idea for you all. If you really can't do it, try using a third party nat/gateway application. Two good choices are Winproxy and Wingate. Very easy to set up and maintain, and offer some more productivity than pretty much lite version of ICS, such as Windows XP.
www.winproxy.com and www.wingate.com for 30 day trials

PING

DaveQ - On the PC without the DSL connection: -

start a dos session (run cmd or run command).

Type

ping <a valid ip number - say your ISPs DNS server - they should have given you that>

Do you get a positive response?

If that is successful, then my thinking is that you don't have your ports configured correctly on the ICS hosting PC.

What operating system are you running on your ICS Hosting PC (by hosting, here I mean the PC that has the DSL connection)?

If you find you need to enable various ports, then you should be aware that NONE are automatically enabled on Win 2000 Pro - each application (http, ftp, https, etc) needs to be configured individually. Look for the settings button at the bottom of the window where ICS is enabled on the DSL device properties.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an exhaustive list of these.

I haven't hosted a DSL connection on an XP Home machine - so I don't know if the same problem would occur. But its a real bummer on a 2000 pro.

I have hosted a modem connection, though, and I think it was pre-configured, or didn't matter, for that.

and the winner is............................(drum roll)..............................
Redsolar

the post Redsolar about the MTU done the trick.
Also someone else emailed me from here too about it, just last night.

but the email had a different key value to edit in the registry.

i used the emails method (which i think only sets it for the LAN card) & it works !!!!

so relieved ! now i can cancel that second account & save myself some money there.

thanx alot to everyone with there rapid and infomative responses

i am glad i had the more common settings right (like i thought i did)

Robant, i am interested to here about this port value setting for Win2k Pro.

i will be networking (3 PC's) for a mate using Win2k, dont wanna look a fool in front of him if it dont work hey !

thanx again everyone, i owe u all.

FYI my MTU value had to go to down to 1454

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back