Can a faulty motherboard cause the click of death?

Ohzopants

My mom thinks I'm cool
About a month ago my really old 6 gig HDD drive died after clicking for about 2 weeks before. I simply wrote it of to the age of the drive.

Yesterday however my main, newer, 40 gig HDD started the click of death also. My question is whether this is a strange coincidence or whether something in my system could be causing the drive deaths? I'm thinking motherboard or power supply... but I could be wrong.

Please help I'm on the verge of violently destroying my PC!!!

Specs:
MB: Asus A7V333
CPU: Athlon XP 1800+ (not, nor ever, OC'D)
RAM: 512 Mb PC2700
Vid card: ATI Radeon AIW 8500
HDD: Maxtor 40 gig 7200 RPM
PSU: Standard 350W

Xie

- geek -
Ohzopants said:
About a month ago my really old 6 gig HDD drive died after clicking for about 2 weeks before. I simply wrote it of to the age of the drive.

Yesterday however my main, newer, 40 gig HDD started the click of death also. My question is whether this is a strange coincidence or whether something in my system could be causing the drive deaths? I'm thinking motherboard or power supply... but I could be wrong.

Please help I'm on the verge of violently destroying my PC!!!

Specs:
MB: Asus A7V333
CPU: Athlon XP 1800+ (not, nor ever, OC'D)
RAM: 512 Mb PC2700
Vid card: ATI Radeon AIW 8500
HDD: Maxtor 40 gig 7200 RPM
PSU: Standard 350W
could be power or even heat perhaps. do you have any case fans blowing on your hd's?

Ohzopants

My mom thinks I'm cool
Thank you so much eddie...

I tried a new ribbon cable and it seems to have fixed the problem. I guess I owe you one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniew