Can 5.1 speakers be used with an integrated sound card?

Codasmd

Old School XPeriencer
Sorry its such a lame question.

I've been looking for awhile now so I just tought I'd ask here.

I'm thinking about getting some decent 5.1's for a present for someone, but they only have an integrated "run of the mill" card.

Do they have to have a real soundcard to use these?

Thanks

Yes and no, 90% of onboard sound cards will only create 2 channel sound. Some of the nForce motherboards (I've got one) have onboard 5.1 sound output.

There are quite a few aftermarket sound cards that can be installed that will upgrade your friend to 5.1, and I don't doubt that there are probably 6.1 and 7.1 available too...

ofcourse yes!!

there should not be much of a difference, plus i think the built in sound cards nowdays r 5.1, well most of them are

i have a got 5.1 surround sound card with my intel mobo and i m using my 5.1 altec lansing speakers!!!

pretty good quality!!

2 cents worth

Most motherboards come with 5.1 sound there are few without it.

You can however buy a 5.1 soundcard for $9 this uses Diamond Multimedia 688 chip.
Great sound quality even a namebrand for 9 bucks. So it's no big deal.

the speakers might be able to be plugged into a simple stereo output and the sound will automatically come out of all 5 speakers. this is true for some 4.1 speaker sets i've seen.

of course, it won't be true surround sound. just more speakers making the same noise.

I believe its an AZZA MoBo (or Via) something like that. Ill have to look into it.

But even if not, a $9 sound card sounds very reasonable.

Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back