Cacheman - Is It Really Worth It?

sammy5gs

Ignorance Defined
Hey... Just wondering, is Cacheman really worth installing on your rig if you have 1GB of Ram (PC2700) w/Win2KPro? I have been trying to eliminate some unneeded, and unneccesary apps on my rig that take up resources, and I am not sure it this utility helps out that much when you have over 512MB of ram?

Any thoughts?

P.S. - For those of you that do not know about Cacheman, it is a utility that "improves" the performance of your rig by optimizing disk cache and memory resources.

if you're using xp cachman will slow you down no matter how much or how little ram you have

it forces more use of the pagefile or it's own pagefile...just what you don't want to do

memory management programs are pure marketing when it comes to the nt kernal

Originally posted by dealer
if you're using xp cachman will slow you down no matter how much or how little ram you have

it forces more use of the pagefile or it's own pagefile...just what you don't want to do

memory management programs are pure marketing when it comes to the nt kernal

to that end, your comment would also apply if I am using Windows 2000 Pro (utilizing the NT Kernel), correct?

Is there a way to force more ram usage (I don't know what i'm talking about) but I do have 1023 or ram - most of it not ever used.

yeah sure...

what yah gotta do is use your computer MORE :D ...

Seriously though - you CAN disable the page file... but if you understand what ya doing there - that's a complete waste of time and shows a lack of O/S understanding....

Then again - there are beasties called RAM-discs... if you;re doing something where you really want the FASTEST disc - make one of those and you'll soon eat up your RAM - and use it all.... If that's what's bugging you.

Hope this is helpful.

more of it is being used then you think...the amount of "free ram" is not the amount that has no information in it.

but that's a long story

to answer your question, you could put everything you think you might be using in your startup folder, that'll do the trick

hey I already put all that in my startup - trust me that hardly does it! You gotta make them DOOooo stuff too - now a good VB script or maybe a nice JAVA app in there - that should do it... also I betcha Active Desktop will help!

you could run norton full

that'd definately do the trick...oh, make sure you enable archive scans as well

Thanks for the sarcasm, it made my morning. Anyway, I did notice this. Is this just some more tweak xp BS? Should I not enable it?

xp.GIF

well, from what it says, it would be faster, seeing as how the disk is slower than your RAM.
personally, i have no idea, as i have not done it myself.

all of this is allready covered with the memory management of your nt kernal

information is always kept residant in memory until pressure is applied to memory...more, it is never released until more memory is claimed

even with your amount of ram, if pressure is applied, you want the os to claim memory from the code that has not been accessed in the longest period of time...

if this is marked as coming from the kore, it's still the most unlikely code to be noticed when it's claimed from longest ago accessed code...that's the strategy and the algorythems design

I would not force the os to keep anything in memory that it would rather mark as available for memory reclamation

thank you

thankyou very much

I've got 30 processes running and i'm seeing, with coolmon reporting, RAM 534/1023 - i'm not really sure if it's because I enabled the tweakxp tweak.

*edit - ok I disabled it and i'm now seeing 516/1023 - hehe, not much difference, I guess.

*edit again, thanks dealer.

like I said...there is information even in the memory that your os says is available

here's an example

open your email client, or word...something big that has not been opened since you started the os

now, work on the program for a bit

now close it down

come back to the program later, and you'll notice it will open faster...this is because the memory that was released, (marked as free), still has the inormation till that memory is claimed

in addition, I'm showing that I'm using half of my memoryjust as you...I have 490, (512 shared)...using 246

sarcasm...

Yeah! It's big here - you should look into Henyman and PsychoKiller's posts - some of them are lethal!

Seriously though - there are words here that any O/S afficianado will understand - thrashing and paging.... you are looking to achieve something that may not necessarily be deisrable...

Think of it this way - you get a 120 brake Horse Power car... now that just means you want to call on it when you need it - don;t mean you want to drive 120 in a 30 zone does it?!!!

* Thinking to self - should I unsub this thread? *

hmmm, I assumed sarcasm, joking, etc belonged in other forums - like the lounge or jokes forum - not in a serious forum such as applications. I was looking for answers not ridicule. Oh well, i'm ok. I understand now. :)

Originally posted by lynchknot
hmmm, I assumed sarcasm, joking, etc belonged in other forums - like the lounge or jokes forum - not in a serious forum such as applications. I was looking for answers not ridicule. Oh well, i'm ok. I understand now. :)

can't we all just get along....:D

lynchknot, I was having fun at nortons expense, not at yours...I took your posts and my answers seriously.

sorry if you weren't amuzed, I thought you would be.

won't happen again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back