Cached drive question

O

Outlaw21

I have 2 physical hard drives, the first partitioned into 2 20 gig partions and the second is a 20 gig not partitioned. They both run off an ATA100 controller card. The 40 gig is set to UDMA5 and the 20 gig is set to UDMA4 (older drive). I have processor scheduling set to 'programs' and memory usage set to 'system cache'. Write caching is enabled on both drives.
Here's the problem, when I run tests at PC Pitstop, it is measuring a cached speed of 2.39 mb/s and 2.45 mb/s on the 2 partitions of the faster 40 gig drive and 118.26 mb/s on the slower 20 gig drive. The 40 gig drive is running in the 1% of their database average (both partitions, 1%) and the 20 gig is running at 51% of their database average. My uncached speeds are running 203%, 220% and 300% respectivly, above their database average. I am freshly defragged.
I know cached speeds have more to do with the processor and memory than the actual drive, so why are my cached speeds so slow?

P3 700
512 ram
40 gig @7200
20 gig @7200

Have you been to the controller card's manufacturer's site to look for updated bios and drivers?

I have the onboard Highpoint Hpt370 controller myself and I had to reflash it's eprom and use a different driver to get a performance gain from it.

If your card is based on one of Highpoints chips you can go here to look for updates:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt370.htm

Mine's a Maxtor, actually made by Promise Technologies. I'll go give them a look see.
But I always understood cached performance to be memory related not hardware related.:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back