• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cached drive question

O

Outlaw21

I have 2 physical hard drives, the first partitioned into 2 20 gig partions and the second is a 20 gig not partitioned. They both run off an ATA100 controller card. The 40 gig is set to UDMA5 and the 20 gig is set to UDMA4 (older drive). I have processor scheduling set to 'programs' and memory usage set to 'system cache'. Write caching is enabled on both drives.
Here's the problem, when I run tests at PC Pitstop, it is measuring a cached speed of 2.39 mb/s and 2.45 mb/s on the 2 partitions of the faster 40 gig drive and 118.26 mb/s on the slower 20 gig drive. The 40 gig drive is running in the 1% of their database average (both partitions, 1%) and the 20 gig is running at 51% of their database average. My uncached speeds are running 203%, 220% and 300% respectivly, above their database average. I am freshly defragged.
I know cached speeds have more to do with the processor and memory than the actual drive, so why are my cached speeds so slow?

P3 700
512 ram
40 gig @7200
20 gig @7200

Have you been to the controller card's manufacturer's site to look for updated bios and drivers?

I have the onboard Highpoint Hpt370 controller myself and I had to reflash it's eprom and use a different driver to get a performance gain from it.

If your card is based on one of Highpoints chips you can go here to look for updates:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt370.htm

O

Outlaw21

Mine's a Maxtor, actually made by Promise Technologies. I'll go give them a look see.
But I always understood cached performance to be memory related not hardware related.:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix