Cables

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
To make my case tidier and less cluttered I wondered if it is possible to buy an IDE cable with only one connection, to fit onto my Hard Drive. And a Floppy Cable with only one connection to fit my Floppy Drive. Do many people really fit two Floppy Drives nowadays? I would prefer the cables to be round. I live in the UK.

i have a floppy cable with only 1 connection. Never saw a floppy cable with 2 connections :S but i have know idea where you can buy them

I know that pcmods has a large selection of rounded calbes, thats where i bought mine. is that what you are thinking about?

make your own from a double cable, take a sharp knife and cut off level with the 1st connector, job done :)

i do it all the time, im a pc engineer (well at least work think i am ;))

make your own from a double cable, take a sharp knife and cut off level with the 1st connector, job done

This will only work if done correctly. You would have to remove the end that goes into the board and use the middle connector in the MB. The floppy drive MUST be on the twisted end of the cable.

Thanks GoNzO, is it really that easy, of course I couldn't do that with a Floppy could I.

LOL yes u can, we do it on all new pc's to make the insides look neat and tidy.

capricorn... for floppy cables, follow un4's advice:
Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
You would have to remove the end that goes into the board and use the middle connector in the MB. The floppy drive MUST be on the twisted end of the cable.

to shorten ide cables, just cut off the end after the middle connector.

Capricorn, one question... Ummmm, well cleaning up is all good but what if you want to put another HDD in or a DVD ROM and/or CD BURNER and you need that other connection??? Then what???

Why not use the rounded IDE cables and just tie them up nice 'n neat with plastic ties???

Now on the Floppie is fine but the IDE cables... don't know. If you start to expand with more drives then you're outta luck.

not to scare anyone, but i was watching TechTV, and i think that i heard them say that if you messed up while rounding cables (cutting 1 of the small wires) you could messed up the device or MB. that ever happend to anyone?

should be common sense but should say it anyway........

cutting off end is fine and will work, but don't do it while other end is plugged in motherboard and especially while computer is on/plugged in. most everyone should know this but just incase.....

:D :happy: :) :confused: :huh: :eek:

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
not to scare anyone, but i was watching TechTV, and i think that i heard them say that if you messed up while rounding cables (cutting 1 of the small wires) you could messed up the device or MB. that ever happend to anyone?
If you cut one of the wires I don't think you'll mess up too much (except it won't work) unless you cut the wrong one I guess (so that a "read" command is taken as a "format" command :)). Very low probability though. :)

The really bad thing that can happen is if you slice the insulation on some cables and they get shorted. *zap* :eek:
Not too good. ;)

Originally posted by Zedric
If you cut one of the wires I don't think you'll mess up too much (except it won't work) unless you cut the wrong one I guess (so that a "read" command is taken as a "format" command :)). Very low probability though. :)

The really bad thing that can happen is if you slice the insulation on some cables and they get shorted. *zap* :eek:
Not too good. ;)

yes thats what i was trying to say. ok thansk for the reply

Thanks Kafros. I've bought a couple of round floppy drive cables, with one end, at 30cm length. I'll see how good they are. I liked the Free Post.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back