Cables too long?

Dr. Kramer

Who's Yo' Doctor?
Ok, so I just bought some round IDE cables without really researching the whole 'length' thing...So ended up buying 2 36" dual silver lined round IDE cables online.

Now after reading on the net about how anything over 18" can cause corruption...should i just ebay them and re-buy some shorter ones? (but the silver are OOS, only copper are left :cry:

thanks for any info

DK

Make a Junk partition on your data drive and run burn in tests on it for data transfer.
If there is no file corruption after an hour of torture it's probably safe.

On the other hand round IDE cables are only $7-8. Just order some shorter ones to be safe.

I might be wrong about this, but I have NEVER had a problem with corruption WRT cable lengths. Even with a 72" 4 connector IDE (BTW, don't bother with 4 connector cables, just gives the system fits as it can only handle 2 channels). I would just do what LeeJend suggests and give it a try. If you worried about, just go pick up some new ones. Speaking of which, I need to buy a new IDE, I think my has a bad wire in it........

LeeJend, how bouts would I run burn tests? Sandra? and how do i tell if there is / has been corruption?

BTW, I'm running this on a new 160gb seagate..., so this ought to be fun!

dk

Edit...
what does WRT stand for??

Last edited:
WRT: With Regards To

WRT cable lengths... The IDE specs stipulates a max of 18" FLAT cable. So a round cable is out of spec anyway. That said, I have an 18" and a 24" with no problems running UDMA6. Most people don't have problems with 24", but I have heard alot of data corruption or transfer mode slowdown due to 36" cables.

Sheeeeeeeet...

So anyone interested in buying some silver shielded 36" IDE cables?? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back