Cable Unplugged Problem :(

H

HognutZ

Ok, I have 2 XP professional computers. One has 2 network cards (Intel 100+ Pro) and the other 1 of same. Im using a Crossover cable to connect the 2 networked computers. My network protocol between the 2 machines is the default TCP/IP (btw- is netbios over TCP/IP more stable and faster on or off?)
The Computer with the 2 Cards has 1 Connected to net. ICS is enabled and working great. network shared folders show up.. Im able to access.. everything seems great.
until I try to download files. If I download smaller files from the one computer to the other (about 10-20 megs) everything works fine, however if I try to download larger files (multimedia stuff) I keep getting pop-up ballons by my clock telling me that a "mshome connection unplugged".. the time to dl on the file starts to go up. then the message disappears for about 10 seconds and then here we go again. My first thought was line quality, but Ive tested it by accessing the net through the network and running tests, playing games, ect.. works great.
Im at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.
H.

Netbios won't affect the speed. Have it on. It's used for Windows networking (file sharing and such) if I remember it correctly.

Maybe you should try tweaking down the cards a bit. Setting manually half/full duplex, 10/100 Mbit just to see if there's a difference in speed. Just make sure the both cards are set the same. Very important.

[=

Thanks, Zedric..
After searching and alot of experimenting that was it.
both the LAN cards were set to auto. Setting them to 100 full duplex did the trick.
Also, I went to this microsoft site...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307729
which told me how to disable the balloon popup that told me "network cable unplugged" everytime I turned on or off the other computer.

H.

I've got a similar sounding problem. Been using a cable modem for about 6 months on my Win2k laptop, connection through a Xircom network card, never any problems.

I now have a new desktop machine running XP and when I connect the cable modem (through an Intel Pro S Desktop Adaptor) I get the "Network cable unplugged" message popping up every 10 seconds or so.

I've tried uninstalling the network card through device manager and rebooting, it re-installs, Windows says the device is working properly but still the same problem. I've tried updating and rolling back the drivers, still the same problem. And now I've tried setting the link speed manually, again without success.

Any ideas? Or do I just have a faulty network card?

Any help greatly appreciated - going back to dial-up access is driving me crazy!

To Pualneve

I just had a problem with my cable modem simular to your problem. I kept getting a cable not connected message and my pc link light would not light. I tried a new cable, then another net card but same problem . what happened was my account got erased from comcast's computer. I had to give them my modem information on the back of my cable modem and wait a couple of days for them to reactivate my account. I don't know if this is your problem but it's something to check.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back