Cable sucks is satellite any better?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Years ago, I had Directv. I liked it except for when the I lost signal due to weather, which was ANYTIME there was any form of rain. I got Dish Network later on due to a huge sale and again aside from the weather issues it was fine. This was 10 years ago. Since then, I've never lived in a place where I could install a dish and I've been stuck with cable. After getting hosed on the cost for years I finally cancelled my service in April. I really don't miss it, but I know in a few short months I'll get something back for football. Which leads me to my issue. I see Dish network is now bundling HD service for no additional fee. That's incredible, I'm used to paying 10-20 more for a handful of HD channels. That plus the price I see advertised is $25.99 for life! That all seems to good to be true. So does anyone have any experience with this offer (I don't know how long it's been out, seeing as I have no TV to see the ad with) If so, what are you're feelings? Has there been any improvement in the service during weather?

The new Directv setups are pretty reliable. I had it for over a year and the signal only went out one time. They been taking down satellites and putting up news ones. It is a nice setup. One thing though, if you do go with Directv again, make sure you watch over the guy installing it like a hawk and if you see something wrong, do not hesitate to bring it up. The reason being that if the install is not done right, it will give you problems.

Been with DirectTv for over 14 years. The signal drop out issue has improved markedly but it depends on your local weather how much of a nuisance it will be. It takes a pretty significant storm to knock out the signal now but it still happens.

I doubt the $26 Dish deal. It is probably for very few channels, no equipment included, etc. The no extra charge for HD is probably legit. SD is probably going to be phased out in a year or two to free up bandwidth. Since broadcast TV is all HD now satellite has to upgrade.

DirectTV just sent me a notice I can get a free equipment upgrade with no contract commitment so it looks like a features war (all HD, etc.) is about to start so you may want to hold back for a while on committing.

DirectTV has more $ports packages but you pay through the nose for them. One of my complaints was cut backs in my payper view selection to make bandwidth for HD and sports packages. I actually got a discount for 2 years becasue they cut off my weekend movies to run sports instead.

The local cable company sucks (charter) and no one I know will use it. Unless you have Verizon FIOS wired TV is limited, especially for HD.

most places that I see the Dish advertised, it's the "HD" part that is free for life.. not the $25.99 intro price. The intro pricing is a 12 month deal on a 2 year commitment for their base package. After the 12 months, the base price goes to their normal $39.99 for the america's top 120 base package.

I had both Dish Network and Directv. I also worked in Tech support for Directv, in fact; I still talk to them. They are ten times better than Dish will ever be. They are constantly updating their setups and adding new packages and channels. They also have the most HD channels. They are in the process of trying to be the first satellite company to be all hd. They also have the new MRV (multi Room Viewing) which is nice, only one dvr and you can watch all the programs recorded on it on any ird.

Dish Network is still using the same infrastructure they had ten years ago. They compress their hd signal also. Theirs is MPEG2 upscale, directv is mpeg4 non upscale. That hd for life for free is a scam, I seen the commercial also, one time it says the first twelve months, then it says for life. They have a lot less channels then directv. Their base package has mostly music networks and shopping networks.

Price wise - I have choice extra which is all channels except the premium station and sports package - My bill is 68.00 a month, permanent. of course I do pay extra because I have three irds.

Something else you have to look at as well. Dish says they have a dual hd ird, Well that is semi-true. They have a dual lnb ird that only has one HD out and the other output is sd. So watch out for that if they try to sell it to you.

If you have any questions about Directv, I can answer them for you ...

umm.. dish has been all MPEG4 since 2008. Picture quality can vary as both compress certain signals depending on the channel and time.

Technically, Dish offered an all HD service a year or two ago that contained only HD programming. It was later discontinued because no one wanted it.

Number of HD channels is kind of a larf because half the time they quote regional local stations into their totals (ie: they count CBS in Dallas, and CBS in Chicago count as 2 "different" HD stations in their totals). I will say that I believe right now, DirecTV does have more real HD channels but a year or two ago, Dish had the lead. They basically leap frog eachother every year or two.

Packages, DirecTV usually wins in terms of number and quality of channels. I just like the DirecTV packages better. But, they usually end up pricer (outside of the intro pricing).

That hd for life for free is a scam,
No, it's not. As I mentioned earlier, it is the HD channels that you get for life, not the intro price. Previously (and I believe currently DirecTV) you have to pay a "surcharge" on top of the base package price to get HD channels. Dish is just doing away with the surcharge and adding HD as part of all the packages. Now, you still have a surcharge for the DVR service, etc, etc.. but that is the same with Cable, Dish, DirecTV, U-Verse, FIOS, etc..

The dual HD out is true as of the ViP722 DVR. I'm not sure if they ever fixed that in their newer HD DVR's or not. the MRV from DirecTV is vey nice - although they basically ripped that basic idea from AT&T and their U-Verse product.

I never saw where dish went to Mpeg4. Either way, they aren't hd all the time .. And yeah, Directv got the idea from At&T universal, they just made it better. As it stands though, Directv is the best, my opinion of course.

Something else dish has is the most Sports Programming. I also claimed that to be to the fact that News Corp, which owns Fox sports, owns Directv ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back