Cable net + Switch/router?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Ok, this is confusing the heck out of me now, I know basically nothing about routers/switches etc.

A friend of mine will soon be getting cable internet, he will be getting a modem from his ISP, which will have an ethernet connection coming from it...
The net will need to be shared with 4 or possibly more machines, now he's after a router, but I suggested a switch (as they're more efficient, right?) but he says he's not sure that will work, what I want to know is can the modem be connected directly to a switch, which will distribute the net across the network?

a switch will require him to purchase multiple IP addresses from his ISP. A router will use one IP address and through it's built in DHCP server and NAT translation it will assign local addresses. It will use the router for DNS and a gateway. A router also makes for a nice hardware firewall. I suggest the router.

Edit: A router IS a switch, it just has one port on it that sits on the internet end of the network and 4+ that sit on a more secure closed network...

Edit again: There are a FEW... an very few... cable modems that have builtin DHCP servers that would allow for you to use multiple PCs without purchasing additional IPs. In this case you could use a switch. I still recommend the router however because it gives you total control over your network. It gives you the ability, through NAT translation, to host WWW, FTP, and other services on different PCs and still use a single IP address. Most of them have parental control built into them where if you try to access a webpage with words you enter into the parental control, it will deny it. NAT firewalls work well but SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) is much more secure even than NAT. Together they do a really good job. I will see if I can find some more information on a webpage for you...

Thanks for that, cleared a few things up in my head :)
I'm pretty sure that he's stuck with just the one IP (guess I'm lucky, my ISP gave me 5 even tho I only have one machine :confused: :D )

^^^^^ What he said^^^^^
Yup, Un4givEn1's right SPeedY.
Aim for a router with built in Firewall if possible. Extra layer of security, plus port stealthing :D

I have the ability to purchase a "pro" service from my ISP, where they would give me 5 as well. The pro service also doubles the download speed and triples the upload speed.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Thanks for that, cleared a few things up in my head :)
I'm pretty sure that he's stuck with just the one IP (guess I'm lucky, my ISP gave me 5 even tho I only have one machine :cunfused: :D )

What type of connection do you have SPeedY_B?
First I've heard of an ISP giving 5 IPs to a customer. haha

My IP is dynamic even though I have a cable modem (ntl)
Interesting to hear of "5" addresses gratis. ;)
Would be nice, although redundant if connecting all PC's through 1 router.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I have the ability to purchase a "pro" service from my ISP, where they would give me 5 as well. The pro service also doubles the download speed and triples the upload speed.

for how much more $$?

It's $35 more... and I am seriously contemplating it... 3.0 Mbps, 384Kbps

Must be a U.S. only service though, am I right?

SPeedY, Henyman, and myself are stuck with the broadband retarded UK ISP's lol

yep... US

It's $79 a month for that service...

I still miss day days back when cable was new... I used to get killer speeds because none of the companies had bothered to cap them. I remember pulling 15MB files in 4-5 seconds. That rocked! True upload speeds of 400-600Kps! I miss those days.

Originally posted by Erbmaster
Must be a U.S. only service though, am I right?

SPeedY, Henyman, and myself are stuck with the broadband retarded UK ISP's lol

You might as well count me in the UK list... (Pipex Xtreme)

Originally posted by ming
You might as well count me in the UK list... (Pipex Xtreme)

lol :cool: Very true. I've been with cable since moving of 56K and every contact with ADSL has been, in comparison, very poor.

Pipex is under that very poor catagory.

From what i can tell Griffin rocks the ADSL world :)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I'm on a 512/256 ADSL line, and my ISP is Griffin, using their Copperstream 500 home package (£19.99/mo with vat comes to about £23.50)

Nice! Better than Pipex for a package that costs the same.
I'm interested in the Bulldog service at the moment, but not willing to spend anything more than what I'm spending now.
Bulldog offering 2mbps during offpeak hours for £29.99.

Originally posted by Enyo
lol :cool: Very true. I've been with cable since moving of 56K and every contact with ADSL has been, in comparison, very poor.

Pipex is under that very poor catagory.

From what i can tell Griffin rocks :)

As far as I know, Pipex is actually better than most other DSL providers. :)

They are one of the better ones. I'm quite happy with Griffin, I often get 60k/s downloads which is fine for a 512k line :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back