Cable Modem under Linux

A

anewhope

As it stands at the moment, we are splitting our NTL cable modem through my PC with 5 others under windows XP. I need to install linux to do some programming work in, but haven't got too many idea's about networking under linux and splitting the cable modem.

Anyone got any advice at all?

i dual boot xp and mandrake 9.0. mandrake automatically detected and set up my internet connection via a cable modem.

if you want to network your windows and linux computers, use samba. it recognizes machines using tcp/ip. you may have to d/l and install it. it did not come as a package with mandrake.

btw, the penquin is happy! ;)

I'd probably just go buy a router, much more efficient then using one computer as a software router.

Originally posted by Qumahlin
I'd probably just go buy a router, much more efficient then using one computer as a software router.

Yes .. A router is the best way to do it - Then if you want to use linux put it on another pc where you can assign a static IP to it .. I found with mine having the dynamic IP and having a dual boot it would give a conflict with the IP - as with a router, and another PC I would'nt have that prob ... I was also never able to get the dhcp in linux to work ..

Originally posted by lechtard
I was also never able to get the dhcp in linux to work ..
What distros have you tried? I've used Mandrake 7.2 and 8.1, ClarkConnect and RedHat 8.0. DHCP has been easy as pie...

Originally posted by Zedric
What distros have you tried? I've used Mandrake 7.2 and 8.1, ClarkConnect and RedHat 8.0. DHCP has been easy as pie...

Red Hat 8.0 ... For some reason when I installed it with Xp on a daul boot it would:
  • Not show the boot screen to boot it .. Even with a boot manager I could not get it to work.
  • The Ip config would not work with DHCP , So I manually put the information in .. and it would give me the warning sign of conflicting Ip ..
I am in the process now of building a file server for my home network - When that is done I'm just going to put it on that .. and use my router to assign it a static ip.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back