Cable modem through hub

R

Rexy

Yesterday I got cable internet installed in my house. It works, and fast. I connected it through the ethernet port (there's no dialing or installation needed). But then I wanted to connect the cable modem to my switch so I can use the internet connection and my home network together and also share the connection (I have only one ethernet card on my comp). So I connected it. But then I can't see the client computers. If I mess with the settings a bit I can make it so I can see them but then the internet doesn't work. And if I mess with the settings again I can make the internet work but I can't see the client computers :confused: ... And those stupid support ppl don't wanna help me because they say that it's not their problem as long as it works at least on one computer :mad: . So what am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? Without having to use USB (because the cable outlet isn't by the server computer but near the switch).

Thanks.

get a cheap cable/dsl router and you should be fine. the final setup should look like this: cable modem -> router -> switch/hub

Or you could install a cheap second network card in your machine and use your computer as a proxy/DHCP server.

Router is a cleaner way though.

Router, saves a lot of stress :)

i have a router and 8 port hub at home, makes life easy when sorting friends pc's :)

The best solution would be a router, I like Linksys. This way you also protected by a NAT firewall. The switch provides no protection. If you have shares setup then you have a huge security issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back