Cable Modem Speeds?

A

AaronMcarthur

My dad is thinking about buying a newer modem than the one we got now, b/c the one we got now we rent it and were going to buy a cheaper one, are they all the same speeds?

Yes, depending on who your internet provider is. They cap your bandwidth. So i believe it wouldnt matter if u got a different cable modem box.

Cable modem

As far as I see, cable modems are cable modems. It is your ISP that tells the the cable modem (irrespective of make) what your up and download rate are.

You switch on the modem and it connects to your ISP, in return it sends back an encrypted file with the preset speeds allowed. It however has the ability to do much faster, however your ISP will kick your ass if they catch you tweaking the file!!!

as long as its Docsis 1.0 compliant you should be fine. i went out and bought a Linksys cable modem BEFCMU10 thinking it would be better than the motorola SB4200, well i learned that my company "optimum online" better supports the motorolas and 3coms and offers firmware upgrades where as they don't with linksys. i get real good speeds but in hindsight i guess i woulda went with what they support. i'd check to see what ur cable company supports before you go get one. all of them are pretty much docsis 1.0 compliant and upgradeable. you can then download some tweaking programs to change your receive window which makes a world of difference, with mine atleast it did. once you have cable modem you will never look back ever ever but keep ur pci card or whatever in case ur cable modem goes down.

Always always check with your provider for a list of approved modems before you buy.

Although DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, and the new 2.0 compliances guarantees that your modem will be compatible with the current number, plus the numbers below it, it doesn't mean that your modem is compatible if your provider is running something other than DOCSIS or is using encryption.

For example, here, AT&T provides a list of approved modems to use that are DOCSIS 1.0 compliant AND have the ability to load configurations encrypted using MD5. If my modem couldn't load an MD5 encrypted configuration, it wouldn't be able to operate.

wont your isp have to accept your MAC address for you to even connect?

yes you need to give ur ISP the MAC address from the modem in order for you to get access. mine is a linksys like i said before and works well but who knows in the future of my ool network.
i thought linksys would be a good brand for cable modems but seems nobody uses them really but they will use the router/switches.

Apparently I have a totally different viewpoint on this subject.

I have Comcast cable - I have the option of buying a modem or paying $5 per month rental on the modem. I choose to pay the $5. Since the modem runs 24/7 - I figure if it goes bad - it is the cable company's problem to replace it. Whereas if I owned it - I would have to buy a new one!

If my thinking is flawed - please enlighten me!

:confused:

Not flawed at all. You leave the ball in their court. But beware, they just might slip you some micro print on your bill down the road.:D

That's my view point too. I rather pay the $3.00 rental fee than to go buy the modem. I don't feel that my modem would go bad since they are designed to never be turned off (hence there are no power switches on cable modems). I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting a modem and it doesn't like the MD5 encryption. Then I'd have to take it back to get another one.

You switch on the modem and it connects to your ISP, in return it sends back an encrypted file with the preset speeds allowed. It however has the ability to do much faster, however your ISP will kick your ass if they catch you tweaking the file!!!

is there a way to do this if so can i get in on the seceret....i know my isp wont say anything, but if this is not allowed no one answer im not sure if its against reg. to ask doesnt seem wrong kinda like a tweak i suppose.

On you own head be it!

/http://www.xtechnet.net/content/uncap/home.htm

That encrypted file u were talking about....well it kinda seems like those chips ppl put in a box to get free/stolen pay per view on the telivision. The satellite ppl sometimes sent out a msg thru antennas i believe and it can find who has chips and what not then find you. They might have that for some cable modem companies????

How wud u tweak ur modem tho by editing that file?
i read in my cable modem manual that most programs that are suppose to increase ur speeds most of the time SLOW it down?

was this to scare me?

Basically...

You run a tftp server program and turnoff your modem. When you turn it on again you can intercept the file.

Then you can manipulate the up and download speeds then save it to you hard drive.

Turn your modem of again, set you IP as the same as your DHCP and so when you turn the modem on it goes to your machine and uploads the new file.

Every now and again though your ISP sends a signal to check your settings are ok, these guys say they have a program that will intercept (sit in the system tray) and send back the default readings so you ISP is non the wiser.

However their site is a bit quirky sometimes it works, sometimes not.

It's not as easy as it sounds. There is one good website I know of that provides all the tools needed to edit your configuration, setup the tftp, and all that, but it only works with ISPs that do not use MD5 encryption on their TFTP. What ISP are you using? I can tell you if they are using MD5 or not. If they are using MD5, you will not be able to get your config file from your ISPs tftp to begin with, so the process would be null and void.

I'm using Cox High Speed Internet Service (road runner).....got a Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem.

Cox requires MD5 to access their systems. There are no tools to bypass the MD5 mech on the Toshiba. If you do find out how and uncap your modem, you will probably be caught.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back