Cable modem question....

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I found out that cable internet access will be available in my area in the next few weeks and a question has entered my mind. I current have 56K dialup connection. The modem is hooked up to a Windows XP Professional box running ICS. This XP box also has a network card connected to a 9 port hub. I also have another box dual-booting between Windows XP/Pro and Red Hat Linux 8.0. This machine also has a network card in it connected to the 9 port hub. Thirdly I have a D-Link wireless access point through which my laptop gets out onto the internet via the ICS running on the main XP box. Now when I get my cable modem...I realize that the modem will go away and a second network will go into my computer that will in turn connect via Cat5 to the cable modem. Now I know that the second network will also have the public IP address and the like bound to it. My question is....will I turn on ICS on that second network card or what? This is confusing me because I know that when I turned on ICS on my current configuration...it changed the network card's IP address to 192.168.0.1 and then allowed the other machines to pull IPs via DHCP. I may not have made a bit of sense here...but how are my other machines gonna know how to get to the gateway to get out onto the internet? I am considering getting a router. I know Linksys makes a router with 4 10/100 ports as well as a WAN link and this may totally clear up my confusion. Any input would be appreciated...

Grant

Wow.. pretty network you got set up there. Sorry I can't answer your question as I know diddly about networks. One thing tho, Never, ever post your IP address (assuming it's a real one)... you never know who's reading the forums.

Just my 2 cents :)

heh....192.168.0.1 is a private non-routable IP address that is given out by XP when you turn on ICS.

Easiest way is to buy a cable/dsl router, D-link makes a good one with a print server already built in, believe it's a model 704 something, anyway the print server alone makes it worth the buy, should run you around 60 to 75 bucks.

cool.gif

Yeah, I have the DI-704P ... it's a 4 port router with a print-server and even a serial port (so you can share a 56k connection too :p)

The price has dropped a LOT since I bought it ... you should be able to get it really cheap. But I think the new 704P model doesn't have the serial port anymore.

Or if you want to stay with ICS:
- ICS is allways enabled on the Internet connection.
- DHCP will tell the computers which way to go, just like it does now.

Also, I have the DI-704P and it works very well and is fast.

ok...I think I have decided on the D-Link 604 for my router. I have no use for the print server since I don't even own a printer. I can get the 604 for $44 from http://www.emscomputing.com Now the issue of buying the modem is still kind of in the air. If I buy one...it will be the Motorola SurfBoard SB4200 for $76 from http://www.newegg.com I think I can rent the modem from Comcast for like $5 a month extra. Seems like to me this would be a good deal since they would have to provide support and service for it.

gballard - I am in the Hattiesburg area and have been on Comast cable since Nov 2001 and down here the cost of the modem rental just dropped to $3 a month - and right on - if it craps out - they replace it!!
;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back