Cable Modem Motorola 5100- switch - three PCs

mkdahiya

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi Mate ,

I cannot get thie internet to work on all the PCs. I can only get to work one PC . I cannot get the other PC connected to Interenet . These PC respond to each other when you ping . But unfortunatley I cannot access internet on more then one PC .

Other PCs when connected one to one with the cable modem they work fine but when routed through the switch , the internet work s only on one PC .

Cable Modem is Motorola 5100 and is enabled for DOHC and has internet sharing .

Upon speaking to ISP privider , they say the modem is fine there is some problem in the switch . The switch has been working okay in the office .

Can anyone help me to diaganose the problem and make my home network work.

regards

Have you tried the Reset button to set it back to a default stage....

Yeap ,

I have done that many times . In fact I have taken the power cord off as well from SB5100. But still I cannot get it to work .

Help !!!!!

illmaticone said:
what kind of switch
The switch is surecom , I used NB1300 ADSL rounter through the uplink port. Infact I used the netcomm NB3300 adsl modem / router through uplink port.

what model ? i'm jsut tryin toget a better picture of your set up before i can come up with some ideas

illmaticone said:
what model ? i'm jsut tryin toget a better picture of your set up before i can come up with some ideas
hi mate ,

The cable modem is SB5100 the switch is surecom NB1300.

I work for a cable company. If it is just a switch you may need to have multiple Ip's from the cable Co.

ejn74 said:
I work for a cable company. If it is just a switch you may need to have multiple Ip's from the cable Co.
This is true, is your "Motorola 5100" a modem/router? that was what i am assuming from your description. if it isnt ejn74 is right you will need to request 3 ip address for your 3 systems but there is most likely a free per extra IP. you will need a router if u dont wanna pay for those extra IP's

illmaticone said:
This is true, is your "Motorola 5100" a modem/router? that was what i am assuming from your description. if it isnt ejn74 is right you will need to request 3 ip address for your 3 systems but there is most likely a free per extra IP. you will need a router if u dont wanna pay for those extra IP's
This SB5100 is router/cable modem . And in its manual it says , this device is set for internet sharing . And its shown in the manual you can connect this to a switch and share the internet with other PC. Once it has got the DHCP inside the cable modem it means it is going to do the NAT automatically.

mkdahiya said:
This SB5100 is router/cable modem . And in its manual it says , this device is set for internet sharing . And its shown in the manual you can connect this to a switch and share the internet with other PC. Once it has got the DHCP inside the cable modem it means it is going to do the NAT automatically.
http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sb5100.html
its strickly a cable modem this device does not route. it says that device is capable of up to 32 devices, but your ISP has to give it 32 IP's... your only paying for 1 ip therefore only 1 device can go online understand? you will need a router inorder for all your PC's to access the internet with out buying multiple IP address from ur ISP

another choice if you don't have a router is to use one of the computers as a router. it would involve a second nic.

illmaticone said:
http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sb5100.html
its strickly a cable modem this device does not route. it says that device is capable of up to 32 devices, but your ISP has to give it 32 IP's... your only paying for 1 ip therefore only 1 device can go online understand? you will need a router inorder for all your PC's to access the internet with out buying multiple IP address from ur ISP
What if I use ADSL router/modem as a router connected to SB5100 through the uplink and use the other port for connecting rest of the PCs.

I tried to do the above configuration , but again landed up in have only one pc working . The other Pc when typed ipconfig/release in cmd window, does release the IP , but upon renew command still show me the old IP address and gateway.

Again r we sure this SB5100 is only modem not router? it supports internet sharing as per manual and the DHPC is enabled.

IF it's a ADSL Modem/Router then chances are that there isn't a WAN (also called Internet) port. This is the port you need to connect the MODEM to and not the uplink. Using the uplink basically makes the MODEM/Router a switch.

You need to go out and buy a router in order to share this connection. Using a system as a gateway is the cheapest method however it means that system has to be on for the others to access the internet.

mkdahiya said:
Again r we sure this SB5100 is only modem not router? it supports internet sharing as per manual and the DHPC is enabled.

yes i am positive, yes internet sharing is supported if you isp leases you more than one IP.
you have DHCP enabled that just means your computer gets its IP address, Subnet, Default GW, DNS servers from you ISP.. how ever you isp is Only Allowing ONE IP address to your cable mode. If ur ISP gives you 2 IP address then 2 of your 3 pc's will access the internet

understand a little better? your best bet is to buy a router, yea you can save money and turn one of ur pc's into a router but then that pc has to been on all the time ( or when ever u wanna access the internet, plus it uses more energy than a little router )

let me kno what happens, i promise you get a router and it will work like magic, if u dont feel confident dont worry just return it if it dont work for u (which it will) :laugh:

5100 is only a modem. You will need a router to get all three to work. unless you put a second nic in one of the computers and use it to hand out ip's to the others.

Thanks Mate ,

I dont doubt your solution , but I was trying to be sure . During this exercise I have also learnt a lot on networking .
I have also asked another question which was :
Can I use the adsl modem/router as a rounter to connect the other PCs or do I have to get another router .

I have a SB5120 and only one isp through provider but share my connection via wireless network. You will need to buy a router to translate the connection to multi machines. you can get some good deals on e-bay for new equip. once you set up the router your good to go on all 3 machines.:nervous:

goodz4u2 said:
I have a SB5120 and only one isp through provider but share my connection via wireless network. You will need to buy a router to translate the connection to multi machines. you can get some good deals on e-bay for new equip. once you set up the router your good to go on all 3 machines.:nervous:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back