Cable Modem Light still blinking???

my isp...

did that as well but changed to always on.

they had some client road runner software to get a working inet connection. kinda stunk, but when they went AO, i just plugged in my router (nice p133 with 32 megs ram, 1 gig drive, 10/100, no monitor,kb,mouse with my beautiful linux router running beautifully) and my family has enjoyed thousands of hours swapping movies, music over the network :)

w0rd :) :) :) :)

Re: my isp...

Originally posted by zoloto
did that as well but changed to always on.

they had some client road runner software to get a working inet connection. kinda stunk, but when they went AO, i just plugged in my router (nice p133 with 32 megs ram, 1 gig drive, 10/100, no monitor,kb,mouse with my beautiful linux router running beautifully) and my family has enjoyed thousands of hours swapping movies, music over the network :)

w0rd :) :) :) :)

I've got a Celeron 333 with a 10/100 card, 4 gig drive with 64 megs of RAM I tried to get running as a Linux router box, but I never could quite get it working. The linux box would connect to the net, but my WinBox never could access the net through the router, despite being able to ping the router and see it in Network Neighborhood. I think it had something to do with IPChains or IPTables (can't remember what the term was) but I never could find a "quickish" fix for it.

Rob

:cool:

you know about a month ago i was wondering the same thing you are "why is my transfer light blinking on my modem" i knew my pc was turned off, well....just bc your pc is off doesnt mean that the modem is, it still wants to talk to your isp since your ip changes rapidly, and that your isp likes to check to see who is using there lines. if you have any doubts just get a firewall or completly unplug your machine.(or atleast your cat5).

ALRITE I FINNALY KNOW NOW, my IP is static, how cud i change it or make it dynamic?

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
ALRITE I FINNALY KNOW NOW, my IP is static, how cud i change it or make it dynamic?

Why would you want to? (And no, I'm not tring to be snotty.)

Rob

22 responses to tell the guy basically the same thing I said in the first response, has to be a new record.

:confused:

So no one just hack me, sucha s knowing that my IP stays the same.

Originally posted by Iceman38
22 responses to tell the guy basically the same thing I said in the first response, has to be a new record.

:confused:

LOL... Now, think back... I'm sure you're parents had to tell you the same thing more than once before you believed them. LOL, I know mine did.

Rob

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
So no one just hack me, sucha s knowing that my IP stays the same.

I hope you don't seriously think that changing your IP address will keep people from hacking you if they really want to.

R

Maybe you are being hacked by a slick cracker! Shields-Up! Firewall enable! Protect data immediately! Secure parameter! :eek:

On the lighter side of things, calm down, its normal for cable modem light activity even when the system is powered down as explained several times.;)

Originally posted by forceusr

LOL... Now, think back... I'm sure you're parents had to tell you the same thing more than once before you believed them. LOL, I know mine did.

Rob

Your right of course, and I do owe Aaron an apology, I know he's new to machines so I will try to bite my tongue.

not flamming u Aaron, but u need to start paying attention, everybody is trying to help u, u screaming (upper caps), and ranting is not helping the situation. :)

Re: Re: my isp...

Originally posted by forceusr

I've got a Celeron 333 with a 10/100 card, 4 gig drive with 64 megs of RAM I tried to get running as a Linux router box, but I never could quite get it working. The linux box would connect to the net, but my WinBox never could access the net through the router, despite being able to ping the router and see it in Network Neighborhood. I think it had something to do with IPChains or IPTables (can't remember what the term was) but I never could find a "quickish" fix for it.

Rob

search for the "Linux Router Project" on google.com the last search engine you'll ever need

HaHa, yes I do agree guys, this is the bestest forum ever, I'm so glad i found one for XP. How did yall know I was new to PC's which I am, just curious?

Re: Re: Re: my isp...

Originally posted by zoloto

search for the "Linux Router Project" on google.com the last search engine you'll ever need

You running yours off of LRP? Thanks for the tip... I may just have a new weekend project going. =)

Rob

I ask intelligent questions,ahhh i never heard anyone tell me that haha, how did Little Bird know i was new to PC's?????

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back