C|net Catchup service alternative?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
http://catchup.cnet.com offered a great service by scanning your computer with a software program and send the results to a server, telling you what programs where outdated and needed updating. But now it is no longer working, unfortunately. Does anyone know of an alternative?

is this like "the big fix"

I never engaged that service on my box, but people I know like it

Big Fix is only for Windows and (Microsoft) Office programs, not for other programs.

I'd rather use windows update than bigfix. Unfortunately, there's just so much software out there that it's not possible to maintain a comprehensive catchup service. I have trouble updating software on my own website!

Originally posted by coathanger007
Unfortunately, there's just so much software out there that it's not possible to maintain a comprehensive catchup service.

hmm, that's true, but C|net's download.com used to have a lot of software programs (until they charged $75 for every submission), so most of my software installed on my system were reconized by the catchup service.

Catchup Rocked. They got rid of it when they found a security flaw in their software (so I read), which enabled hackers or the better informed to enter your system and route around.

I am sure (I moaned over 100 times to them) they will bring it back, at a cost I bet.

If it does not cost more than 10 squids then I am sure I will purchase an anual membership.

Hope it does come back, it had a couple of problems like telling you certain updates from M$ where not installed when they were and trials you had running they hung out the begging bowl for you to go through them to buy full version.

Apart from that it was o.k.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back