Bypassing/Resetting Windows XP passwords...

jonifen

pffff...
I keep seeing these posts coming up on this forum only for other users to be worried about posting software to solve their problem, and mods thinking they've just nicked the PC or their software is pirated.

Fair enough, I can see all sides of the situation so I wont argue about that :)

However... for the people who get locked out - if you really think you've got a poor memory and are likely to get locked out of the PC, write the password down and hide the note under your bed or create a password reset disk (a function in WinXP).

If you change your password, just create a new reset disk - it'll stop the all too common "help I've locked myself out" threads from appearing, and it'll stop the mods from having to do so much work closing those threads up and deleting links from posts etc

Dont worry, its all above board as it's built into the operating system, but you DO need to be logged in as that user originally to make the disk so if the PC is nicked or you're getting illegal access, then you cant make a disk therefore not getting access at all.

I cant remember the exact place where you go to make the disk - although I'm sure it'll be in the "User Accounts" section in "Control Panel". I'm on Win2K at work atm so I cant check - I'm sure someone else will point out where it is though :)

good post jonifen

there is no way that we can tell that you are a valid user and due to the giudelines we really cant help because we cant prove that you arent trying to gain unauthorised access to a machine.

BTW
User Account in the Control Panel then look under Related Tasks and click "Prevent a forgotten Password"

I believe its exactly the same , did you even bother to go look in contraol panel , user accounts , to the left the prevent lost passwords .... ??:)

Originally posted by Geffy
good post jonifen

there is no way that we can tell that you are a valid user and due to the giudelines we really cant help because we cant prove that you arent trying to gain unauthorised access to a machine.

BTW
User Account in the Control Panel then look under Related Tasks and click "Prevent a forgotten Password"

cheers m8... thats why I posted it as there is absolutely no way that people on here can tell the situation is exactly as it is explained to be :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back