bye bye monitor?

O

oO ShifterZ Oo

i was doing my daily browing and listening to my MP3z and studying for my huge test at the same time, when PAM! (or a differ sound effect) then i looked up and saw my monitor go black, i tried to reboot and everytime i load up with the other monitor (on an other montior now) i hear static and its black. i was wondering what happen? i was think nooo my geforce2 noooo then YES time 2 get geforce 4 ti4600, but then i thoguth it might be my monitor NOOOO 17" HELLOO 22" flat screen. (IF I COULD AFFORD ALL THOSE). WEll just wanted 2 know what happen.

I would borrow a different monitor and see if it works, if it does, time for a new monitor, if it doesn't, time for new vid, either way time for a change.

;)

I have two solution:

1. Go and work hard, save a lot of money and after a long time you can buy your new monitor and vid card. Problem solved.

2. Go rob a bank and buy your new stuff now, without the waiting and the hard work. Problem solved

;) :D

i mean ya it was my monitor not my vid card, and i hope i can get a cheap flat screen 21 or 22, anyone know anysites. i know tigerdirect.com anything eles

now now, i'm sure you're all anxious to buy your shiny new flat panel... but don't throw out that 17" crt just yet! try a couple things...

first open it up... unscrew whatever screws you need to and pop off the covering on the back. you should see quite a bit of dust. get rid of it! use compressed air to do this as the high-voltage capacitors in a crt can supposedly hold enough current to kill you long after it's been unplugged. after it's pretty well clean, do ahead and try hooking it up again. you can do this with the cover off so it gets plenty of ventilation, just don't poke your fingers in it while it's on, unless you like numbness.

it just might work. if it doesn't, try changing the resolution to 800x600 and lowering the refresh rate to 60Hz and see if it can manage that. if not, then i'd say it's safe to go buy your lcd of goodness. if it does work... well, you still can! }:>

umm thats pretty smart i hope i dont get fried now, for the compressed air, i have a spray that cleans dust without you wiping it off, is that waht u are talkin about.

ALSO i did a refresh rate of 85 hz and i know the defulat is 60 hz, is that the reason the montior blew out. CUZ I Remember hearing POOF! sound like someone squeeqing a plastic bag together. WELL try it

lol, Iceman38 ur damn funny :D

As for any other sites, try pricewatch.com

Good Luck,

Originally posted by oO ShifterZ Oo
umm thats pretty smart i hope i dont get fried now, for the compressed air, i have a spray that cleans dust without you wiping it off, is that waht u are talkin about.

ALSO i did a refresh rate of 85 hz and i know the defulat is 60 hz, is that the reason the montior blew out. CUZ I Remember hearing POOF! sound like someone squeeqing a plastic bag together. WELL try it
It's not the refresh rate that caused it. You probably blew a circuit of some kind, maybe a capacitor. The dust won't be the problem since it's not conductive (unless it is iron dust or so). I think the screen is screwed. Not even worth repairing. I really suggest you don't open the monitor case. The power stored in the capacitors can be LETHAL. I'm not kidding.

with the amount of voltage in monitor, simple dust could help it arc. and i just hate seeing people shrug and toss something out without trying to repair it, first.

but if it went out cuz you forced a higher refresh rate, well... lol... go ahead and toss it. something blew. something not cheap. }:>

just an update, ima gettin (gettin) a flat LCD 17" monitor - is that good? well i wanted a 22 but :( oh well.

BUT as for the next monitor my forced refresh rates doesnt cause the monitor to break rite?

BTW, i didnt mention above which i think doesnt really matter, i have tweak my geforce 2.

does your gf2 have dvi output? mine does and i would strongly recommend getting a flat pannel that uses dvi. it would be cheaper (no analog converter) and offer a better picture. if you don't know what a dvi port looks like, it's a white port with about 30+ holes for pins. it's made for lcd monitors.

when it comes to lcd's, i'm not sure if refresh rate even applies. and having your video card overclocked or whatnot doesn't affect the display.

hold on, i need a dvi input to plug my lcd monitor in. SO your saying the LCD doesnt plug into the CRT monitor slots. IF not, what do i need to buy to make it work, ie new video card, converter?

I'm bettin' the flyback went out. Usually a *POP*, then darkness in the land of Oz...

I don't really know why I added that *Oz* thing, it just came out...:D

shifter, i said i'd recommend getting an lcd with DVI... of course there are ones out there that use the analog vga port that all monitors use.

DVI ports are made for lcd's and provide a better picture. if your video card has one, then look for an lcd with a dvi conection. if your video card doesn't have one, then nevermind and get any lcd you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back