Buying with Steam

N

Not Bman

Simply, if I buy something on Steam, do I get mailed a box with cd's.

I assume not right? I like to have boxes with all information.

And if this thing I bought was The Orange Box, I already have HL2, anyway to get a lower price and not get HL2 with the package?

No you do not get CD's but rather download into Steam. You can back up your games though to CD or DVD through the Steam backup feature.

You could give HL2 to someone as a gift.

and regardless, TF2 and HL2:Ep2, and Portal are more than worth the cost of the orange box.. As others have mentioned, each of those games by themselves are worth the price of the orange box.. I'd pay $40 for TF2 alone

As has been mentioned before in this thread and others, you can gift the copy of HL2 you get with the orange box as well

u can buy the orange box from amazon (canada)for 60 $can.. seems a bit too much...

if u know anyone in the us ask em to get it from regular amazon (40$) and then send it to u
since they dont deliver games outside the usa

Simply, if I buy something on Steam, do I get mailed a box with cd's.

I assume not right? I like to have boxes with all information.

And if this thing I bought was The Orange Box, I already have HL2, anyway to get a lower price and not get HL2 with the package?

There are no physical elements with Steam. The only thing you get is downloaded material. What you can certainly do is go ahead and backup the content that you have to media from your hdd.

You are looking for a retail copy which includes box, media, license to run the media as well as other materials. This is not the case with downloadable content.

Also, consider the fact you are receiving HL2 and Episode 1 to be freebies. The content of the other games is worth about the total price each so you're paying 1/3rd for it. Additionally, you can GIVE AWAY your licenses. They are complete licenses so you don't have to worry about the users you give them to not being able to use them later :)

Download, enjoy, frag away and let me know when you want to put up with my bitching in a TF2 fragfest session and we'll be good to go.

EP and I played, for a few minutes. He cheats but I still smacked him around :D

I belive Valve stated way back that if Steam ever closed for any reason they'd ship out physicall media and stuff to you for products you've bought.

All sounds great, so if I go right now and get Orange Box, the HL2 that comes with it won't conflict with the one that I have installed?

Say I click Purchase Now tommorow around 7ish, when will (depending on download speeds I know) I be able to play. There aren't payment waits or anything like that right?

And Sazar, you got free time this weekend, I should have it up and running by then!

Last edited by a moderator:
with steam, you choose which games you want to download. It doesn't automatically install everything.. only what you want.

For instance, I bought the orange box back when TF2 was still in beta.. installed TF2 and Half Life but not ep1 and ep2.. didn't install portal right away either.. just installed that earlier this week. (BTW - portal is a hell of a fun game :) )

Bah, ok I am saying screw the other things I want right now (yes me a bit poor) and I'm going to get it after co-op today.

Then it's time for some fun.

No conflicts, you just get the ability to give away HL2 and EP1 if you already had either games. I'd like to note also that even if you don't back up your games to a physical media, you can always redownload the games that you own from Steam. That is what I do after any system goes fubar and I wish I had the ability to do that on all my games.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back