Buying New Mac

N

Not Bman

I am getting really serious with Graphic/Web Design, and basically even without that I'd love to have these new macbook intel systems. The other thing I want to do with them, is do the dual boot, bootcamp type thing. I heard to fun 2 OS's or more smoothly you need at least 3GB of ram.

I checked out Apple.com, PCCyber, the macgroup (both in ottawa, Canada) and the one that offers the most upgrade is apple, but it's only 2GB and very expensive to do so.

Do you guys know where I could find a place that sells these 2.16GHz intel macbooks with more then 2GB of RAM in them?

Why do you need a Mac just because you are serious with graphic and web design?

That way of thinking is a thing of the past.

madmatt said:
That way of thinking is a thing of the past.

Umm...:rolleyes: Care to explain this opinion?

You could try music stores online and near where you live... Music apps take up just about as much ram as photo/video applications when you start to lay out the individual tracks. I would suggest musiciansfriend.com and samedaymusic.com for online stores... Whatever you do DON"T order from music123. They may be cheaper but when (if) you get your order they will be outdated already and the world will be ruled by linux :nervous:

You live in Canada right? I really don't know of any stores that would sell macs there. You could try Circuit City if you have one nearby,but I doubt they will beat apple's prices with the expensive ram. You could always install your own.

-tc

Last edited:
I can design a web site and graphics on my Windows based computer just as well and just as easy as anyone can on a Mac.

If you want examples I'd be more than happy to share links to my current projects.

I can design a web site and graphics on my Windows based computer just as well and just as easy as anyone can on a Mac.

If you want examples I'd be more than happy to share links to my current projects.

I know you can, so I can I, thats why I added even without that, I'd love to have one. I thought you can't install yourown, I'm looking to get a macbook. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do that, that's not extreme.

I'm just busting on you B. I didn't think you had that notion in your head. =]

Think about it, how long will you really spend switching back and forth? Getting 3GB of RAM just for that purpose would be a waste.

Alot, I love to use OSX, XP (vista later on) and Ubuntu on a macbook.

I have my reasons. So, Is it possible for me to install my own memory into a macbook? Or where you talking about a normal mac system?

Alot, I love to use OSX, XP (vista later on) and Ubuntu on a macbook.

I have my reasons. So, Is it possible for me to install my own memory into a macbook? Or where you talking about a normal mac system?

If you are using Bootcamp to switch between the OS's, you should be fine with 1 GB. If you are going to be running Parallels then you would want to get up to 2 GB. I am not sure what the max is, Apple website is your best bet.

If you are using Bootcamp to switch between the OS's, you should be fine with 1 GB. If you are going to be running Parallels then you would want to get up to 2 GB. I am not sure what the max is, Apple website is your best bet.

I also heard that when the new Leapord comes out, bootcamp will be like fast-user switching. Is this true, then I assume 2GB or more will be needed. Or is that what Parallels is?

I don't believe you'll need 3GB of RAM to run two OS's. 2GB should be fine. Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a MacBook for graphic design work on account of the screen size. I'd consider a MacBook Pro or an iMac (both Intel as well).

I'm not sure that Bootcamp will act like fast-user switching in Leopard -- that is yet to be known for certain. In that case Parallels is a completely separate software offering that will allow you to run Windows and OS X concurrently.

I orignally said macbook pro...sry about that.

Also, yea either way...Alright, macbook pro 2GB sounds good. It's just that on the apple store, its really expensive, and the places around here were only 160bucks cheaper, I was hoping someone new of a place around here.

I'll check circit city, but not sure if I have one around here.

*EDIT, Circuit City dosen't ship to Canada.

Yeah, I didn't think they would... Umm.. Sweetwater.com? They have really good music gear and also have macbooks and macbookpros.. As for installing your own ram. Unless they finally changed it after several years of the same design - you can easily change and upgrade your ram by taking out the keyboard.

I can change my ibook ram in less than 5 minutes just by pulling the keyboard out and removing the airport card ( think there was also a little panel to remove) but it's relatively simple.

Their website should have documents on how to do this as well.

EDIT : Matt - I believe you can do just as good things on pc, however, my experience is that it's much easier and faster to do web design work on a mac. Mac graphic applications tend to run faster and smoother than pc and the outcome is usually finished in a more timely manner. The mac ui is also more simple in design allowing the designer to focus on the project at hand. The only problem I see is that what looks good on a mac doesn't always look as good on a pc as for css styling - therefore both are important in the development of a website. These are just my opinions as I actively use both os's.

Last edited:
I don't know why nearly every thread in the Mac section has to have "PC vs. Mac" posts that have nothing to do with the original topic. Bman has some questions and it would be best to only make posts that specifically address his questions.

muzikool said:
I don't know why nearly every thread in the Mac section has to have "PC vs. Mac" posts that have nothing to do with the original topic. Bman has some questions and it would be best to only make posts that specifically address his questions.

Yes, it does seem this way doesn't it... :( Sorry guys...

Here bman - http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBookPro_15inch_TechOverview.pdf

It says that the most you can install is 2gb, so I guess that settles the issue of upgrading it to a higher amount. As X pointed out, you will have more than enough ram with 1gb so 2 should be plenty.

EDIT: It's on PG 31
Hope this helps

There's a limit of 2GB? I'm really surprised.

http://developer.apple.com/document...e_ref/doc/uid/TP40003899-DontLinkElementID_15

The 15-inch MacBook Pro computer introduced in January 2006, based on the Intel Core Duo microprocessor, provides two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant and must be unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

The computer ships with one 512 MB, 667 MHz, SDRAM SO-DIMM installed. The largest capacity SO-DIMM supported is 1 GB, so the maximum memory capacity is 2 GB.

The memory controller supports both 512 MB and 1 GB SO-DIMMs. However, because the memory in the two slots is configured as a contiguous array of memory, both SO-DIMMs must be the same size and type for the interleaving function to be used to improve performance. The MacBook Pro supports a CAS latency of 5.

The width of each 667 MHz memory bus is 64 bits.

The EEPROM pin is powered by 3.3 V.

The maximum number of devices per SO-DIMM is 16. See “Sizes of DDR2 SDRAM expansion SO-DIMMS and devices ” for device and DIMM configurations.

I'd love to find out what happened if more was put in.

Again, I'm surprised. Chill out?

I don't have all the little hardware details memorized.

Again, I'm surprised. Chill out?

I don't have all the little hardware details memorized.

Ehm, I am chilled out. Just pointing out the facts from Apple. It is unable to handle 2 x 2 GB SO-DIMMS at the 667 Mhz speed because of the way the Intel CPU works in combination with the memory bus. It should run at 533 Mhz to get the full 4 GB, however it seems to always want to run at 667 Mhz, and thus it does not boot. More info can be found at the arstechnica thread where some guy tried this:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/719000469731/p/4

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back