buying new cd burner

segamil

OSNN Addict
I'm looking to upgrade my older Lite-on 24x cdrw to something a little more recent. Any suggestions for brands, reliability, noise, buffer capacity, price etc...?

Any brands I should avoid? Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I personally have a special place in my heart for samsung burnes. Very relaible and if the right version is bought you have an 8 meg buffer. Very fast and very reliable.

time to upgrade from a 24 speds burner already? man that sux, im making do with a 6 speed no buffer underrun ...

maybe i should buy your 24 speed :)

if only we lived in the same country!

O this is looking good. When you get your 24x I can get your 6X to replace my old faithful 4x. :D

wow.. 4x? Now I really feel bad.
I can almost hear the violins...

Thanks for the recommendation on the Samsung though.. I did see that one (with the 8mb buffer). Very Reasonable price too.

52 speed liteon less than £40.00 Pounds uk....and will backup anything you throw at it.....used them since 12 speed and as far as i know all my old ones are still going strong (sell to friends)

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
O this is looking good. When you get your 24x I can get your 6X to replace my old faithful 4x. :D

If you get your 6x can I get your 4x ? I can only burn at 2x with my old Teac CD-R55S SCSI. It takes about 50 mins to burn a audio CD :eek: :rolleyes:

ok.. 2x tops it (or bottoms it out;-)
Actually the reason I'm upgrading is so I can replace my daughter's 8x burner and put in my 24x in her dell machine.. (and don't tell her mom.. so I get the new toy!)

By the way, is there a big difference between 52x and 48x? and what will an 8mb buffer do for me? (most of the ones I've looked at seem to have only a 2mb buffer.

Originally posted by segamil
By the way, is there a big difference between 52x and 48x? and what will an 8mb buffer do for me? (most of the ones I've looked at seem to have only a 2mb buffer.

not much......as for the buffer size, its not as important as before because of burn proof technology...but havin more buffer doesnt hurt i think

also, dont forget to get media rated at whatever speed ur drive is

The difference between 48x and 52x is seconds...so i would buy a 48x and save a few £`s.
Also alot of media is only rated 48x i know you can run it faster but when your backing up data you want it error free.

I personally recommend the Plextor Plexwriter drives, they're very reliable and almost never bust

All the buffer is for is for data bandwidth transfer. Having more of a buffer allows you to send more information to the burner at any given time. This means your burner isnt slowing down waiting for information from the machine.... effectivly with an 8 meg buffer its the other way around. The burner always has the information to burn exactly when it needs it.. This also helps for error free burning.

Originally posted by Jim
If you get your 6x can I get your 4x ? I can only burn at 2x with my old Teac CD-R55S SCSI. It takes about 50 mins to burn a audio CD :eek: :rolleyes:
Well I feel much better now. :D

My damn burner cost a small fortune compared to today. I can't justify getting rid of it & it won't die. Might be slow but it burns what I throw at it. :D :D

just an update - I decided to buy the Samsung combo CDRW plus DVD-Rom 48x/24x/48X with 16xdvd. It came with 8mb of buffer memory and easy cd creator, direct CD and power dvd disks.
Great price too..about 70 bucks.

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus

Well yes my Australian buddy, normally that would be fine however given the overwhelming interest in swapping 'up' our burners, i would be more than happy to offer it to the highest bidder!

lets say $70 australian starting bid. do i hear AUS$70/US$35??

just foolin around.

keep your eyes peeled for my new nickname -- Sexo um pato

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES i have upgraded! my nickname is officially version 2.0

byeeeeeeeee seeme forever, meet the new improved me! i am a sexy duck!

sexo um pato forever people!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back