buying cpu and ram

Y

Yngwie_II

Hey guys i want your opinion on some buying related stuff.
I'm considering buying a Barton processor. I also need to buy
ram. these are my options, either i buy a Barton 2500+ or 3000+,
and i buy 512mb ddr 333 http://store.yahoo.com/ocsystem/foncoliexgam.html

Or i wait a while, and buy a Barton 3200+ ? that has a 400mhz fsb. And then i would buy ddr 400 ram.
http://www.ocsystem.com/oc51pc40fonc.html

So the difference is that the 333 ram runs at a slightly lower timing, and is less expensive. The barton difference is the 333 compared to 400 and is also cheaper. I'm just thinking, will the 400 version be worth it over the 333, cuz the 400 version will cost like a 1000 bucks. And the 2500 now costs like 200 dollars.

Ok please let me now asap.

Thanks

Yngwie II

1). from now on when you buy ram if you want 512 buy 2 256 sticks, so you can take advantage of the new dual ddr MB's.

2). Your mother board has to support the higher FSB chips and you have mentioned nothing about the MB.

3). All the benchmarks say it is not time to buy ddr400 yet. Reasons:
-It runs at CL2.5 (extra wait time) so it has no advantage over 333.
-If you use 400 mhz ram with a proc that runs 333 fsb you get asynchronous data tranfer that throws in more wait states.

Right now I'd go with 333 ram and fsb and a dual ddr motherboard.

Does your MB support 333 FSB and will a barton work on it if it is only 266 FSB?

I know you were looking for answers not more questions... :eek:

1). from now on when you buy ram if you want 512 buy 2 256 sticks, so you can take advantage of the new dual ddr MB's.
His mobo is a dual channel board. A7N8X.

2). Your mother board has to support the higher FSB chips and you have mentioned nothing about the MB.
Take a look at his sig. A7N8X, yes it supports 333fsb processors, but not 400fsb chips, so 400fsb chip is out of the question.

3). All the benchmarks say it is not time to buy ddr400 yet. Reasons:
-It runs at CL2.5 (extra wait time) so it has no advantage over 333.
-If you use 400 mhz ram with a proc that runs 333 fsb you get asynchronous data tranfer that throws in more wait states.
The difference is only noticeable between cas 2.5 and cas2 in benchmarks, and a lot of ddr400 will run at cas 2. On the second point, I can't see what you're trying to say there, if the memory is running faster, it can only be better - not worse.

Don't buy OCSystems (OCZ, whatever they want to call themselves) memory, buy something better quality, like crucial (see above), corsair, kingston, etc.

EDIT: Ok, I see you already have OCsystems ram :)

ummm, first off, buy the 3000+ and buy the DDR400, make sure you run it in Sync mode on the A7N8X.

You can always overclock the 3000+ to 3200+ speeds.... and if you buy the faster RAM you don't have to worry about it...

hey! i was wondering if the price of pc800 Rambus Ram have drop yet?

It's

PC800 800MHz 256 Meg 184pin RDRam Rimm $79.55
PC800 800MHz 512 Meg 184pin RDRam Rimm $237.99

for RDRAM

First off
my motherboard is dual channel ddr 400. So why
make it dual channel ddr 333, next, if you look with your eyes
you find out that the ddr 400 is CL2 and CAS2, not 2.5.
So both rams are the same except that the 333 has
a little lower timing 255, instead of 362,
finally, my motherboard has the most chance of supporting
the barton, a little bios update does the trick. So thats bull****
too. And finally, i'm not buying 2x 256, i'm buying 2x 512
to make 1 gig, the sig. info is not correct, i haven't bought it
yet. But ocsystem is high quality though, they are the best
overclockers.

Originally posted by Yngwie_II
First off
my motherboard is dual channel ddr 400. So why
make it dual channel ddr 333, next, if you look with your eyes
you find out that the ddr 400 is CL2 and CAS2, not 2.5.
So both rams are the same except that the 333 has
a little lower timing 255, instead of 362,
finally, my motherboard has the most chance of supporting
the barton, a little bios update does the trick. So thats bull****
too. And finally, i'm not buying 2x 256, i'm buying 2x 512
to make 1 gig, the sig. info is not correct, i haven't bought it
yet. But ocsystem is high quality though, they are the best
overclockers.

play nice now :)

btw your motherboard is dual channel 400 ? the nforce2 boards SUPPORT ddr400 perhaps :) was only just recently approved by jedec...

anyways... barton per info posted on amd website will be out with a 166mhz fsb clock... perhaps 200 later in the year...

the 3200 will be out near the end of the year... with the lower end 2500+-2800+ should be out in the not too distant future...

Originally posted by Yngwie_II
But ocsystem is high quality though, they are the best
overclockers.

I think you'll find that corsair XMS and kingston hyperX will be the best overclockers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back