Buy XP Professional OEM??

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political Access
I have got a laptop which has got XP home on it. I would like to upgrade this to XP professional. Obviously I can buy the upgrade version of the software, but my question is can I buy the OEM version of XP pro?

Just curious really.:)

ebay has alot of copies, look for sellers with stupidly high feedback as they usually use it as a "selling vessel" so there is very little risk.

I got MCE 2005 that way.

The Oem version won't include drivers and such with it .. It's better to go with retail. You can find a good price on them on like mentioned - Ebay ..

Johnny, it does I have it and it is 100% the same as retail.

@rushmoo1 I would go for it, I got mine over a year ago and I havent had any regrets. Its the same as the retail but it comes in a plastic sleeve and not a nice box. But who needs a 100$ box anyway? :p

zeke_mo said:
Johnny, it does I have it and it is 100% the same as retail.

The home OEM I got with my dell didn't have the drivers, I had to use a disk fro to install them. A buddy of mine got a dell with OEM Pro, it didn't have the drivers either. Maybe, it is just diff if you buy from a manufacturer as apposed to buying it from a retail outlet. If that is the case, then I would go with OEM. You don't need the stupid packaging, or book anyhow ..

As a note when I say drivers .. When you use a retail version of xp it has driver for whatever is on your computer. The OEM version I had wasn't like that. When I used it I had to use the drivers disk that came with my computer. If I used the retail version, I didn't have to. It will all there ..

Its probably because it didnt come with a service pack, if you dont have sp1 the you wont have usb 2.0 drivers, and if you dont have sp2 you wont have bluetooth drivers. There might be others, but those are the main ones

zeke_mo said:
Its probably because it didnt come with a service pack, if you dont have service pack one the you wont have usb 2.0 drivers, and if you dont have sp2 you wont have bluetooth drivers

Look above. The version I am talking about don't even have service pack one ..

Generic OEMs probably include everything, such as the OEM XP CDs that are sold on NewEgg.com with a nominal "hardware" requirement. Buy a 3.5" disc drive or a printer and you qualify for the OEM CD.

The ones packaged by Dell or whatnot are probably customized by Dell themselves, and they have a nasty habit of crippling their OEMs to the point that they're useless on any other computer except the one you bought.

Melon

melon said:
Generic OEMs probably include everything, such as the OEM XP CDs that are sold on NewEgg.com with a nominal "hardware" requirement. Buy a 3.5" disc drive or a printer and you qualify for the OEM CD.

I found a loop hole in that :p When I bought XP from them they gave me a free hat and the hat counted as hardware ;) Im sure they have fixed it by now but it made me feel cool :)

Yes. Its corporate that you dont have to activate

darn it. Aw well, guess I could use 1 legit to get the files.

If xp wasnt so much or they allowed you to use it on 5 comps at $200 I would consider purchasing it.

Admiral Michael said:
and how much is corporate? I have 4 systems that I need to install xp on.
I think corporate is geared to businesses with more computers than that. Imagine having to activate over 300 pc's like which have been installed at my work recently!:eek:

Oh thanks everyone for their replys! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back