• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Busy CPU usage

tibboh

Arte et Marte
My daughter's Toshiba P4 2.8GHz laptop (A60, I think) seems to be performing ok, but I noticed that if it has a number of programmes running it boots up to 100% CPU usage, then even after shutting down all progs it still runs at max usage (until reboot).

Is there anyway to rectify this settings wise?

Thanks

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Get a hold of enditll & use that to kill all processes. While doing so have the task manager open & locked by enditall to see if you get the desired result. If so reboot, open enditall & kill the processes one at a time till you find the trouble maker.

eidt/ Direct Download

Weasel

Define 'Cynical'
Run Adaware and Spybot, then go through Run on the start menu, thrash anything you don't need. Fire up Regedit and go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and nuke some stuff that you clearly don't need. Should help with the initial windows load somewhat.

Also make sure she didn't install something like "Folding at Home" or "SETI". They will use 100% when the machine is idle but when you run something they go to sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fontjohnson