burning .iso for boot

n0d3

the 4um stalker
I have an iso file that is supposed to be able to be used as a boot cd. I use NERO which has an option to burn a boot cd. However, when I restart with the cd in (and BIOS set to load cd first) the dos-like boot screen doesn't come up. The iso is like a linux pack that has a word program and the like. What I understand is that a screen should come up where commands can be put in, but instead my computer just moves on to loading Windows. I know this is kind of jumbled, but anyone know what I mean and how to fix it?

have you tried to just burn the ISO without the 'Make it bootable' in Nero... if that dont work they either the cdrom is shot or the cd itself is not a bootable image

Yeah, the first time I just did normal cd burn... and when I did that the boot screen was [DR-DOS], which I've never heard of, but it didn't have the options of the program I was trying to run.

Use win rar and extract it normally, then burn the files to your disk. See what the boot file says, maybe it's got an error.

yes win rar decrompresses/extracts the iso file to files and folders.

I don't even bother burning iso files I prefer to extract them first.

You even get a fully working 40 day trial,

http://download.com.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

Attachments

• winrar.PNG
    winrar.PNG
    133.7 KB · Views: 69
ooh... dang.. wish I'd known that... enter the n00b sig

You'd think that there would be someone living with you who could answer that question... and you'd think right... hmm...

twak.gif

In Nero, to burn a bootable ISO image, you have to launch burning rom, cancel out of the wizard. From the "Recorder" dropdown menu, select "burn Image" and navigate to the ISO you wanna burn. Then Burn.

Other Options:
Burn with Burnatonce
mount with Daemon Tools and copy from the virtual drive (any vcd program for that matter)
Extract with ISObuster, winrar etc and burn files (doesn't always work do to specific disc structure)

Hope that answered questions. if so you know what to click

Thanks to everyone, except muzikool, who could have helped avoid this entire thread. Learn something new everyday... and usually forget it that night.

ah, you must be muzikool's bro. Nice to meetcha. And, yah, he should be able to answer most of your questions.

yeah... most of the time he can.. but then other times he doesn't feel like wasting his time on my pointless exploration of the computer frontier

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back