patrickjp

hey guys, I remember reading someone there's a fix for this:
winxp pro
I have a 16x AOpen cd/rw
and a 8x Toshiba DVD player

I try and burn cd to cd and I get "medium write speed error"

I tried burning at diffrent speeds, same shit :(

what's the fix?

only fix I can think of is not to use cd-cd, set it to copy to harddrive as temp image, then burn so there is no sync/speed errors, sorry man

i had this error with my CDRW, i set my cdrw to Master and installed The aspi update and it worked fine.

Mine would not even copy off the fly ( as to speak)

--Nick--

"aspi update"

where can I get this? are you talking about the cd burner update from microsoft?

wow, ok well that aspi made nero hang in task manager..

I can hear the cd\rw trying to read the blank disk over and over again preventing nero from initiating the burn process.. this sucks

is'nt there a registry entry that will stop that from happenning?

any suggestions are welcome, what a pain in the ass :(

edit: in my computer, my cd-rw only shows as a cd-rom

Make sure they aren't on the same IDE cable. Just my thought.

nero already comes with an ASPI layer...

It comes with the newest version, doesn't it?

Or am i wrong?

yep, they are both on the same ide cable, but I really have nowhere else to plug them in, I have no more controllers.. oh well :(

thanks for your help guys

Try this one ???

I have just seen your dilema I am not the IT engineer here my girlfriend is and she is at work mending similar problems so from a person who heres and sees some of these things going on, check to see if "write to fly is selected" otherwise you can't copy from one drive to another instantly.

We are using DVD drive for master and CDRW for write obviously but they are the same make samsung and the have an option to imitate speed and synchronize ROM Drives so this helps to.

Like I say I am no techy just thought i would offer something.

PS we use nero to

I'll try that when I get home..
I do have that selected, thanks for the tip

Well, if they are on the same cable I can pretty much gurantee that there is no way that you will be able to do a disc to disc copy. I don't remember why but I know that it won't work. If you have 2 HD's and 2 Optical drives, set up the HD's as the masters on both IDE channels and the DVD and CD-RW as slaves on each channel doesn't matter which.

Of course make sure that your boot drive is set to master on the primary channel and you should be all set.... at least from the hardware end. :D

hey thanks for the suggestions guys..

unfortunatly I cannot burn anything at all.. I went to AOpen's website and they have no downloads supporting thier hardware and win xp.. no fixes etc..

so I guess until they decide to put out some kinda fix, I'm outta luck..

this is a strange deal here cause I origionally did an upgrade from winme to xp and this burner was at least burning cd's.. now after a fresh install of xp it will not burn anything and returns an error "medium speed write error"

:(

guess I'll have to wait for service pack 1

Boxman:

It's not necessarily true that if they are on the same cable it won't work, I've always kept my 2 HD's on one cable and my DVD and Cd writer on another and have done disc to disc copy many times with no problems!

cd 2 cd

same cable shouldnt matter. nero lists in its faqs that cd 2 cd using a cdrom drive as a source isnt supported. reason being jitter or something. so it requires you to put the source cd in the burner and do the image route for a bit 2 bit txfr. this has worked for me in the past when i had problems.

might want to check this program out as well for audio --

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ (thank polumnus for that site)

Originally posted by Qumahlin
Boxman:

It's not necessarily true that if they are on the same cable it won't work, I've always kept my 2 HD's on one cable and my DVD and Cd writer on another and have done disc to disc copy many times with no problems!

So have I, and just to add fuel to the fire, My burner is a slave beacause my dvd refuses to work as a slave.

Originally posted by boxman
Well, if they are on the same cable I can pretty much gurantee that there is no way that you will be able to do a disc to disc copy. I don't remember why but I know that it won't work.

That is B.S. Myself and 100 others will not agree with you. There may be a possibility it won't work but you have no way to even come close to gauranteeing that it won't work.

Anyhow,

I do know that the cable quality might make a difference, you may have a 40 pin cable while a 80 pin cable would be much better. I had a 40 pin cable and a dvd and cd rom on same cable and it kept fucking my cable up (explorer would not recognize the cd's), so I bought a $30 80 pin ata 100 cable from compusa and my problems went away.

I then also used "nero" to make a copy of a cd while dvd was slave and cd-rw was master. "On the same cable"

Now don't just go out and buy a $30 cable till you know what your problems are, just remember that as an option.

If that is what nero says about cd-cd copies then try Roxio EZ Cd Creator (although nero is my preference).

Can't say much for EAC since it won't recognize my dirves at all.

Good Luck - Tfp

If you stick your cdrom or cdrw as a slave with your hd it will only go (if your lucky) as fast as that. Whats the point in trying to copy disk to disk if you got to slow your whole system down.

Originally posted by docholiday
If you stick your cdrom or cdrw as a slave with your hd it will only go (if your lucky) as fast as that. Whats the point in trying to copy disk to disk if you got to slow your whole system down.
Heard that too....

Well i take back my statement :rolleyes:. I should have said in my experience but I didn't, so that's my bad on my part. I'm gonna look into that. Just wondering where the hell are you paying $30 for an 80 conductor IDE cable?.... I got a 36incher for $8.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back