Burning a DVD to disc?

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
It hit me earlier yesterday that i have never actually burnt a dvd-video on my dvd-burner. So i ripped a dvd to my hard-drive using DVD Decrypter so now i have a few .vob and couple .bup and a .ifo ... My question is where do i go from here to burn them to a DVD-R that would be viewable in my dvd-player.

Am i right in saying it needs decoded then re-encoded? I tried burning the VIDEO_TS directory as is in Nero, but the dvd didnt work so i really dont want to play about myself and waste anymore dvd-s.

Thanks in advance.

Get yourself DVD Shrink. Freeware. That's all you'll need. If a disc gets stubborn then use dvd decrypter.

You can add those hard drive files to dvd shrink.

Best to play with DVD+RW until you have your method sorted out :)
Will save you a penny or two in the second generation of drinks coasters.

well, my disc just got stubborn. DVD Shrink says that its an invalid file structure?

Edit: Well, i tried my Wrong Turn and Code 46 discs and both work fine, so it must just be that one. DVD Shrink looks like a nice application, thanks HD

hipster nailed it on the head with his first post!

Speaking of DvD burning, something has been buzzing around my ears for a few days now, (it's not a Wasp or a fly nor a Bee) I was wondering, is there software I can use, as you will understand I have lots of 15 minute footages I want to link together and rip to DvD files, I will convert them to DvD format first so that I can stich them all together?

so u want them to be all one clip then add to dvd? or all separte

I think Nerovision Express (with the mpeg 2 addon) will let you do this, I remuxed and burnt a divx movie and it worked great... Could even create a menu.

Lee said:
Speaking of DvD burning, something has been buzzing around my ears for a few days now, (it's not a Wasp or a fly nor a Bee) I was wondering, is there software I can use, as you will understand I have lots of 15 minute footages I want to link together and rip to DvD files, I will convert them to DvD format first so that I can stich them all together?

what files are they ??

excellent, dvdshrink truely is a great app. :)

And lee you thread hi-jacking howard loving git, make your own thread :p

Just been using DvD shrink, for freeware it's mustard,the odd glitch. Used VSO DivxToDVD (freeware) to encode then DvD to file and burn, that reminds me I must donate something to the author, s/he deserves a donation.

DVDSanta will allow you to just drag and drop all of your files (avi, mpeg, whatever) into it's interface, fill in a few blanks (what format??--ntsc or PAL, where you want the final files stored, etc) and hit CREATE DVD. It will link all of your movies together into one long movie with chapters added automatically.
DVD Santa is really a nobrainer for converting all sorts of file formats to DVD. A 2 hour movie will convert in about an hour and a half or so. For a quick and dirty that does a fairly decent job quickly give DVD Santa a try.

For backing up nothing beats DVD Decrypter + DVDShrink though.

If you want a little more control over where chapters are located and what they look like, there are lots of programs...the simple one I use is tmpgenc DVD Author. Simple, basic, works.

Lee said:
Just been using DvD shrink, for freeware it's mustard,the odd glitch. Used VSO DivxToDVD (freeware) to encode then DvD to file and burn, that reminds me I must donate something to the author, s/he deserves a donation.

dvdshrink is no longer under developement. The Author went ot Ahead to develope Recode ...

as far as my config - DVDDecryptor and DVDShrink, nothing beats them ..

dreamliner77 said:
How is the quality of dvd santa?

It is actually quite good, considering it only does a one-pass conversion, Provided that your original (source) is of good quality.

I am usually pretty picky about the end quality of my movies, and I usually use a 2-pass encode of tmpgenc with High motion precision.... this usually takes 6+ hours to do. DVDSanta will do the same thing in 1+ hours with very good quality. I have tried a lot of different converters and DVDSanta is by far the best of the midlevel converters.
It is by far the easiest to use.

CinemaCraftEncoder is the best, followed closely by tmpgenc.

DVDSanta is better quality than most of the rest, much better than the converter in NERO. (although that is not saying much)

Lee

If you want to just archive all the files to a playable DVD:

Use Nero Ultra (6.3 or above). Make a Movie DVD.
-You can now string as many clips (avi, mpeg, etc as you want together).
-Or you can do one clip, hit next and add a new clip with a new title. Repeats as often as you like.

This is a beautiful tool, so is the Photo DVD tool that allows you to mix sound tracks, photos and movie clips all on one DVD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back