Burner Brands?

sidefx

OSNN Addict
Im lookin to buy a new burner can you suggest from the following brands which is better? I am lookin for overall fastest of these plus compatibility when it comes to media types basically it aint picky.

AOpen 52x24x52 CD-RW
ASUS 52x24x52 CD-RW
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW
LiteOn 52x32x52
Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW

I currently have a Plextor and am very happy with it, but I am not willing to pay the price currently for a Plextor when I know I can get just as good quality/speed and compatibility with those other drives mentioned above.

LiteOn definitely. Bought two of them and had no problems whatsoever.
What's the spec of your current burner though? there's no point replacing it if it's 24/32x write because it'll make very little difference unless you burn 650mb/700mb each time.

Liteon Or Sony. But i would go with liteon ---- its never screwed up for me and its so reliable and i love it unlike my philips one which broke after a year and starting acting retarded by opening and closing at random moments. heheh

Ming, how can you say that there's not difference unless you're burning 650-700MB each time? i'd much rather copy almost 8 MB a second than almost 5MB a second. Ya, it ain't a kind of "ooh" and "aah" speed difference like with DVD burn speeds, but still faster.

About my suggestion, i'd say the Asus drive. i've had mine for quite a while and have had no problems. Have never used AOpen or LG. heard bad rumors about Lite-On's drive testing methods, and sony...... i wouldn't touch Sony PC hardware with a 50ft. pole. If you want to know why i don't trust sony.... let's just say that they have had some very bad practices with the older models of desktop pc's. (like on mine, seems like they opened up both the dvd-rom and cd-rw drives, ripped out the CD tray, put new ones in with a stupid clip on the front so they could attach an utterly retarded looking faceplate, yanked out the volume knob and status lights, then threw it back together and hid it conveniently in a drive bay that has half of the front blocked by an un-removable plastic piece that held the button to eject the drive.)

What I'm saying is that unless you burn 650/700mb each time, you will never reach the write speed of 48/52x because this speed is only achievable on the outer part of the cd.

yeah, but what do most people use a cd for? backup of files, and music cd's. it doesn't take too much data to get closer to the outside of the disc. you could probably put like 150-200MB on a disc and it will be about half way to the outside.

P.S. if someone don't believe me about the Sony disc drives that came in my desktop, just tell me. i can take a pic to prove it. :D

I got a TDK dvd+r/rw and it works great ... I have read good about cd-r/rw as well. Also have read my TDK is a rebadged plextor ;) ... so nice bang for the buck.

sidefx said:
Im lookin to buy a new burner can you suggest from the following brands which is better? I am lookin for overall fastest of these plus compatibility when it comes to media types basically it aint picky.

AOpen 52x24x52 CD-RW
ASUS 52x24x52 CD-RW
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW
LiteOn 52x32x52
Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW

I currently have a Plextor and am very happy with it, but I am not willing to pay the price currently for a Plextor when I know I can get just as good quality/speed and compatibility with those other drives mentioned above.

AFAIK (and manufacturs change daily...), the AOpen, Asus and Sony are rebranded Lite-On's.

LG make their own.

I had an LG 12x for 3 years. Loved it. Still works. Upgraded about 2 months ago to a LiteOn 52x32x52 and love that too. LiteOn is pretty much the audio enthusiasts choice (and the price is right at Newegg). Check hydrogenaudio.com and cdfreaks.com

Heh, I went cheap and got an Artec 52x. It's fine, if a little loud(then again, I rarely use my drives, other than loading software). Plextor and LiteOn are the 2 "quality" optical drive manufacturers that you hear the most about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back