Building New Computer

omgsoup

OSNN Senior Addict
right, so i am going to try and spend $2,000 building a new computer this summer. i want a p4 based system. i was wondering if anyone could help me out with choosing what all to put in it. i don't know if i should go for teh new 2.4 and 2.6MHz that are coming out soon, but i think i want the 512MHZ front side bus or whatever it is that used to be. (i know its not 512MHz, like the rambus or somthing like that, but they increased it for the new p4's) (and i know 99% of yall hate intel, but that's okay, just remver, its my money, not yours) so, any help would be great.

A couple of things for a p4. You need at least an 850 chipset & RD ram. Good also to get one of the latest motherboards. Upgrade reasons.

You dont need rdram, there are a number of boards coming out now with ddr ram instead.

Has to be a Geforce 4 of course :D

Sound.........hmmmmmmm..... I Tend to stick with soundblaster.

A nice little toy for your machine is a TV card, you can more than you think with these.

We really need to know what you need the machine for to make any more recomenddations.

i'm going to use it for gaming, and internet. but i sorta just want to build a really really nice computer.

Everybody I talk to says ddr is better. Even the guy who works on my pc says that. and for suggestions sis just came out with a 8x graphics card. Now they need to make an 8x board!

A P4 2.0A that can be gotten for $252.00 and an Abit BD7 are very good choices. You can easily bump it to 2.4Ghz saving hundreds of dollars. DDR is awsome memory and cheaper (price wise than R memory). Just get a good quality DDR. Check out my signature, I built this for under $1,000 (excluding the monitor) and few surpass my PCMark 2002 scores and PCPitstop scores. Ultimatley it is your choice on what you want to do.:) My P4 beats the panties off of any AMD chip in overall score (especially in gaming) any day!:D

Originally posted by SnookBooger
A P4 2.0A that can be gotten for $252.00 and an Abit BD7 are very good choices. You can easily bump it to 2.4Ghz saving hundreds of dollars. DDR is awsome memory and cheaper (price wise than R memory). Just get a good quality DDR. Check out my signature, I built this for under $1,000 (excluding the monitor) and few surpass my PCMark 2002 scores and PCPitstop scores. Ultimatley it is your choice on what you want to do.:) My P4 beats the panties off of any AMD chip in overall score (especially in gaming) any day!:D

P4 is designed for RDRAM and Performs better with it. You also say you beat the pants off any score but do not post any of them. Why?

Originally posted by BenQuilter
right, so i am going to try and spend $2,000 building a new computer this summer. i want a p4 based system. i was wondering if anyone could help me out with choosing what all to put in it. i don't know if i should go for teh new 2.4 and 2.6MHz that are coming out soon, but i think i want the 512MHZ front side bus or whatever it is that used to be. (i know its not 512MHz, like the rambus or somthing like that, but they increased it for the new p4's) (and i know 99% of yall hate intel, but that's okay, just remver, its my money, not yours) so, any help would be great.

the new p4's should be somewhat affordable due to the competition amd is laying down with their new thoroughbred cpus. the fsb is 533 MHz for the new cpus. definitely dont go for rdram. intel is fazing it out of their plans and they are moving to ddr support.

its not that everyone hates intel, its just that amd is cheaper and delivers competitive performance.

are you building from scratch?

if so, i'd suggest for your computer,
p4 2.4 w/ support mobo ($600-700)
lian-li case ($120-200)
400W power supply ($100)
sound blaster audigy ($100)
80gb seagate HDD 7200rpm ($100)
geforce 4 ti-4200 ($200)
19" crt monitor ($200)

with a few extra drives (cdrom, burner, etc)

you'll hit about $2000.

I agree go AMD cheaper and quicker just get a few more case fans and a good cpu heatsink and cooler...you will be able to afford a much faster cpu going with AMD....definately go gforce 4ti
I'M JEALOUS:mad:

Okay, I think I Have IT

okay, well, i made a word document with pretty much everything i am thinking of getting. its here and just click on "Ben's Pimptastic Computer" i didn't add it up, and there are links to each of the parts i'm getting. so, thanks.

thats a fine setup so far in my opinion, you didnt need to add all the technical white pages though.

what about the ddr ram? like PC3000, PC2700, etc? and does the power suppy work with the case (or is it genearlly more like a one size fits all deal?

:) P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR, P4 DDR...!:D

Reply to Open_Source

P4 is not only limited to RAMBUS performance. It performs great with DDR as well. Also, I said I beat the PANTIES (not pants) off an AMD. Go to Madonion under Discussion/PCMark2002/SnookBooger and you can reference my POSTED scores there.;)

By the way that was with 2.34Ghz clock:p

why don't you just buy a dual processor board ? I mean you can do whatever you want and the load on the processor will be less since it is split... :) get an MP system or whatever the hell intell is offering... or not :)

heck for 2 grand I could build myself to 2 1900+ XP systems that kick total bootay :D

p4 sys... get the 533 FSB ones... i prefer DDR only because it is fast enough and it is cheaper than RDRAM so you can put gigs of it in your system... all depends how much you spend and if you are going to recycle any parts from your old system...

2 grand can go up in smoke if you go for all the fancy shiznit...

:D but what do I know... I'm just a janitor...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back