Building my new PC now

G

Gouk

I just recieved all my parts from Aria today and am going to build this shyster of a PC myself :)

I was thinking is it worth getting some Artic Silver III Compound?

Man I never knew building a PC was so easy and logical :D

Maybe i'm speaking so soon but I 'have' read alot about how to build a PC on the net and in PC mags. I dont wanna get anything wrong coz I have spent alot of money on the parts (650+)

Wish me luck and I hope you help me when I have problems :)

I never used any of that stuff. Maybe if you have a high end AMD XP it's a good idea beacuse of the better cooling (how much better is it anyway?). If it runs too hot, just put it on later.

Good luck! Don't put the WOL cable in the fan power outlet. ;) Make sure the AGP card goes in all the way, can sometimes be a bit tricky on some card/MB combinations.

Good luck Dude, it's not that hard to build a puter, actually quite simple.

as far as Artic Silver III compund, if u plan on overclocking then yes it's worth it, but if u are just going to leave it stock, it's not really needed, but it's nice to have.

Really up to u :D

hope it works out okay :p

Well I got the AMD Athlon XP2000+ and I might go for an overclock of 1.8GHz so I may aswell get the Artic Silver III :)

I'll update you all with my progress but for now I have changed my signature :D

:) peace out :)

If you get a GOOD heat sink/fan combo, it should have some shtuff on the bottom anyways that should suffice, unless you OC'ing or something.......

I would not overclock it myself unless of course u got money to throw away.

u are not going to see that big of a gain in performance,

so Microsoft Word opens in 2.5 seconds instead of 2.2 seconds, so what?.

You overclock it and u just threw away ur warrenty.

This is my opinion of course, I'm sure there are a lot of ppl out there that disagree, but like I said it's only my opinion. ;)

Originally posted by Iceman38
I would not overclock it myself unless of course u got money to throw away.

u are not going to see that big of a gain in performance,

so Microsoft Word opens in 2.5 seconds instead of 2.2 seconds, so what?.

You overclock it and u just threw away ur warrenty.

This is my opinion of course, I'm sure there are a lot of ppl out there that disagree, but like I said it's only my opinion. ;)

Your opinion has been noted ;)

Anyone know where I can download the Award Flash utility for the ASUS mobo's so I can update the BIOS?

I downloaded the latest BIOs from the asus.com.tw site but I cant find the flash util. :(

arctic silver 3 is the single most cost-effective component in any system. for $10, you can get something that will keep your cpu cooler and let your turn down/off some fans and keep your sanity.

but the way you apply thermal compounds makes a substantial difference with it's effectiveness... i saw this for myself yesterday when i cleaned out my case and reapplied it. i'm now running 4-5° cooler and i didn't do a half-ass job last time, either.

clean everything fully and leave no lint. don't use your fingers for anything as the oil from them will insulate. use a clean credit card or the like to apply a thin layer of the compound on the cpu die and scrape a little into the contact area on the bottom of the heatsink thoroughly... this will fill the miniscule cracks and divots. then (gently) slap the puppy on there and rock and roll.

i think i will relax till tommorow :D

i really need some of that Artic Silver III compound :) to continue.

Asus Updater

Top of the list...

/http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp

It is an automated program that will check to make sure you new bios file is for your board. You can use the file you downloaded or let it look for the latest one.

Goku, hit Alt-F2 at the start up. I have one of those boards upstairs, and it wouldn't even boot Windows. Victim of a bad chipset I think. Beware of the false 12.9 volt reading you get through PC Probe..it's decieving. I switched boards cause I wasn't gonna get stuck with another bad board.

The following is hear-say:
A local computer guy (I trust him, he knows a great deal) said when he tried to fix my comp (A7V333), that the board had SEVERE issues with overheating, corrupting data, and other various problems. You may have a totally different experience than I do, so build that baby...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back