build my own laptop

dubstar

format c:
instead of building a desktop, i want to build a laptop. any ideas on where i can find mobos for them and memory and all that jazz?? i know its not as "main stream" as desktops, but theres got to be a place some where... right?

Bursting Your Bubble

Actually the Laptop is still TOTALLY and ABSOLUTLY owned by the proprietary market. In otherwords YOU can't build one. You can goto sites and Configure one but you can't buy the parts seperate and build one like a Desktop/Tower.

Here's a nice site where you can CONFIGURE a top of the line one.
http://www.neotechpc.com/index.php?page=laptops

Also Dell, Compaq, and other main brands do allow some configurations.

To those who would have undoudably posted that you can buy some laptop parts, your correct! They do sell parts HDD's, Memory, USB/Parellel Devices.

In most laptops you can't upgrade the CPU, Video, and Audio. those remain constant.

That being the case a "Desktop" as you put it would be the best bang for your buck. I on the other hand haven't made a Desktop PC in years. Towers is where it's at!!! :cool:

as a reseller and system builder i can tell you for almost a fact, buying a laptop case, mobo, ram and hard drive seperate will probably end up costing you more than a prebuilt 1.

you could try a company in sheffield called sky notebooks, they will be able to advise on parts etc.

my main supplier sells bare bones laptops, but he is not competative on them.

you can build a desknote. They are made by ECS.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/desknotes.htm?
submenu_id=15&function_id=12

They use a standard cpu and ram therefore you can upgrade them. Mine has no internal battery, but now they have some with batteries and an ati video card. They're not fully customizable, but in the long run, may save you money. Another problem with them is that mine anyways has no floppy drive, but it's an older model. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by thenicos
you can build a desknote. They are made by ECS.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/desknotes.htm?
submenu_id=15&function_id=12

They use a standard cpu and ram therefore you can upgrade them. Mine has no internal battery, but now they have some with batteries and an ati video card. They're not fully customizable, but in the long run, may save you money. Another problem with them is that mine anyways has no floppy drive, but it's an older model. Hope this helps.

I bought an I-buddie from them cost me 970 bucks its an awesome machine can play UT2k3 and thats a pretty graphic intensive game.

your 1000th post :D

beerchug.gif

Originally posted by thenicos
...but now they have some with batteries and an ati video card.
i didn't know about the ati video option so i checked.. and i can't find one with that feature? which one are you talking about? i see a new one which has a gf4 420 go...?

Originally posted by Krux
I bought an I-buddie from them cost me 970 bucks its an awesome machine can play UT2k3 and thats a pretty graphic intensive game.
really? that says a lot for SiS onboard graphics. which one do you have?

sorry guys... but *bump*... for curiosity's sake. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back