bug when trying to search for files

D

dnorris

I just installed the XP upgrade (from Windows ME) and there's a recurring bug--Whenever I want to look for a file on my hard drive, I go to Windows Explorer and hit [CTRL] + F to bring up the file search screen. Then when I start to type in the name of the file I'm looking for, the system immediately launches the software installation program for Microsoft Office 2000 (which I already have installed). I have to hit "cancel" several times to make it stop trying to load the installation program. It's incredibly annoying. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a fix?

Thanks!
D. Norris

I'm wondering if you can delete the installer, as you've already got office installed.

If you didn't do a complete install of Office, then the problem is more likely that the Search needs something from Office to be installed. Just let it install, wait til it is done and then check to see if the installation continues again.

Example: I installed Office XP. Well ctfmon.exe likes to run all the time, but I didn't want it too, so I deleted it. Well to my surprise, when I opened Word, or any other MS program needing that file, would execute the installation. So lesson I learned, eventhough I didn't like the file, a majority of the program did. lol

bug when searching for files

Thanks for the tips. A weird thing happened:
I tried the suggestion of putting in the Office 2000 CD when the 'file search' command triggered the launch of the installation. The computer proceeded to get stuck in a repetitive loop of starting the Office installation/setup (ie accessing files off of the CD)--the screen would say it was initializing the setup and accessing files, the little blue bar indicating that files were being accessed would move across the screen to finish, then it would do it again, and again and again and again (never actually getting to the Install or Setup interface). I finally hit "cancel". Then I closed Windows Explorer, took out the CD, re-opened Explorer, brought up the "file search" screen, and this time it didn't try to launch the Office installation.
In other words, it seemed work. I have no idea why.

-D.N.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back