Budget Technophile Setup

pokerblogger

OSNN Addict
Over the past month or so I've setup a small PIII Debian server in my living room to use as an SSH based fileserver. It was quite a challenge to get running but it was such a great feeling once it was all setup to go. Now I've started this Folding@Home stuff with the OSNN team and I'm getting an itch to learn more about various servers so I can be more proficient in my web based side business.

Right now I have a high end P4 laptop (Video Production and Web Development & F@H), P3 600 Debian Box (CVS, SSH and F@H), P3 850 laptop (Girlfriends WinXP & F@H) and a P4 desktop (WinXP World of Warcraft & F@H Box)

I would like to add the following to my setup:
1.) PVR (mythTV?) so I can stop paying Comcast $9.95/month for their worthless one that crashes all the time!
2.) A FreeBSD web and email server
3.) A Windows 2003 server (not quite sure why I want this one yet - I may wait for Longhorn on this one).

I'd also like F@H to run on each of these whenever they can spare the cycles.

What is the LOWEST possible hardware cost and configuration I can get away with while still having reasonable performance, etc. with each workload? I'd like to stay with new parts and Intel CPUs. Assume hard drives are already present.

Any particular reason that you want to stay with Intel?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back