Buddies System

N

Not Bman

Can you guys give me an opinon. How much is this really worth, my friend is going to pay $614 CND for it.

I am assuming it's worth enough less then that price.

01 Classic E-E2200 Series 1

System: Classic E-E2200 Series
Housing: MicroATX Tower Black/Silver 350W
Motherboard: Asus P5GC-MX (775 PCIE S V L)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2200 (2.2GHz 1MB 800MHz)
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
Hard Drive 1: 250 GB 7200RPM SATA
Media Drive 1: Internal Multi-Card Reader
Video Cards: Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics
Media Drive 2: None
Media Drive 3: 20x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Modem: None
Sound Card: Integrated 6-Channel Audio
Network: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Display: None
Keyboard: None
Mouse: None
Speakers: None
Utility: None
Business: None
Printers: None
Power Bar/UPS: None
Router/Firewall: None
Setup/Delivery: None
Warranty: 3 Year Return to Depot Hardware Warranty

That actually sounds kinda steep to me, based on $614 CND = $604.45 US. I'm pretty sure I could build a better system for less.

I don't know if you could build a better system for less, but you can certainly build THAT system for less.

That is what I thought, what sort of price you think you could get?

well, just for fun, I put together a system with the same specs off newegg for just under $400US (including OS).

Didn't use the greatest quality components (case,power,RAM,etc) but I'm assuming the place you'd be buying from isn't going to be using top-end equipment either.

edit: for the $600US price point, you can easily get more RAM and a semi-decent video card.

meh.. $432 w/shipping to me.. not sure what shipping would be out to you :)

Guys, consider that it COMES with 3 years of warranty and all parts are already included. Besides that, your friend will get a pre-assembled system that should work fine, instead of putting togehter something and having it fail on him.

I do think a longer than one year warranty is important. I always look for three or more year warranties for the individual parts I buy, and I recognize that not everyone wants to fool with individual components.

I just did a real quick search and found Compaq Presario SR5550f Desktop PC which is $480 US plus you can get 2-year HP House Call Extended Service Plan for Desktop PCs for $170 which totals $650 not including shipping.

Not the best graphics but neither was the other one.

The PC includes:

Operating system
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1

Processor
AMD AthlonTM X2 5400 Dual-Core Processor

Memory
3072MB

Memory speed
PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM

Total memory slots
4 DIMM

Maximum memory expansion
8GB

Graphics card
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory

PCI expansion
1 PCI (occupied) 2 PCI Express x1 (available) 1 PCI Express x16 (available)

Hard drive
500GB 7200RPM SATA

Primary CD/DVD drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

Networking
Integrated 10/100Mbps network interface

Sound card
High Definition Audio

Speakers
8 speaker configurable

Front-side bus (processor dependent)
2000MT/s System Bus

I/O ports
Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Back) Headphone; Microphone (Front) 2 PS/2; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out;

Or, another one HP Pavilion a6510t series for $670 customized with:

* • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
* • Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2200 (2.2GHz)
* • 2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
* • Integrated graphics (Intel(R) Media Accelerator 3100), VGA
* • 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem for dial-up Internet access
* • FREE UPGRADE to 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s from 320GB hard drive
* • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
* • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
* • Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports
* • No additional security software
* • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
* • HP keyboard and HP optical mouse
* • 3-year HP House Call Extended Service Plan

The question is not how much we think its worth but how much Bman's buddy thinks it worth. Yes getting thoughts on the value for the money is good and to me that doesn't seem like a good value unless he already has speakers, keyboard, mouse etc I know most of those aren't that pricey but still think they should be included.

Now if your buddy feels its worth the $614CND who are we to disagree, though giving him as much information as possible and such is good but again it goes back to what he feels is the best value for his money not anybody else thoughts on value

My buddy does not really know anything about computers, worth or anything. That is why he came to me. I knew right away I didn't think that computer was worth that price so I wanted to get a second opinion.

I sent him the first link here and said thats quite a good deal, see what he says.

Along the lines of what chastity is saying, you and your friend should go with your gut feelings. Does he get a warm and fuzzy feeling over it?

Edit: You and I posted around the same time, Bman, so I didn't see your post.

Reality check.
1) 350W power supply?? That alone tells me not to buy it.
2) How is a "small" legit reseller still dealing in XP???
3) How well established is the reseller? Warrantees are rarely worth the paper they are scribbled on.
4) What does the warantee cover? Parts, labor, data recovery. Will you have to wait 6-12 weeks for a repalcement MB? Can you get a replacement MB 18 months from now. Will the warrantor recover your data for the reinstall that will be required. Do you get a windows XP disk with the machine.

If I was going off the shelf it would be Dell or HP/Compaq or Toshiba if a laptop.

Speaking of laptops. At that price you can get a decent one and since the machine won't ever support gaming (350W PSU) why not a laptop?

Yea, aren't they aloud to sell off anything they have?

And I thought the same thing, should n't he be getting Vista lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back