Buddhist art

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I was in IRC and this came up - thought I would share it, it's quite something when you think about it.

Xie said:
If you look in this section they brush it all off :eek:
Yeah, it says they planned to d it at the beginning of the article also
the monks will dismantle the mandala and deposit the sand in a body of water. This process symbolizes the transience of life and the ideal of nonattachment to the material world.
Its obvious when you think about :p

that is beautiful - a few years ago, when this was done, rather than disrupting it themselves, they had a group of children come in and do it, to symbolize the fleetingness of life and the need for younger generations to destroy the dogmas of the old

:cool: stuff like that makes me happy

Khayman said:
Yeah, it says they planned to d it at the beginning of the article
Well as a /. reader I didn't RTFA .. just looked at the pretty pictures and posted :p

Hehe wow...I just took a class on Buddhism this quarter! Those things are called mandalas. Our Professor showed us a whole bunch of pictures of these. Really beautiful stuff, and painstakingly time consuming.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back