bt upload increase?

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
i am using bittornado to upload and my speed seems to get no higher than 27kb/s. i have comast broadband and thought i could get a faster upload. is there anything i can do other then get another provider or do i just deal?

thanks

who are you uploading to and are you using a router with NAT enabled?
You may have put a limit on the upload speed in the program, i'm not sure what settings there are as I don't use that program, but I do know that you can have upload limit in azureus if you wanted to limit the speed.

your broadband what type is it? ADSL? Cable??

256kb/s upload speed??

Comcast is cable and upload speed depends on which tier you have.

I am gonna assume it is basic.

Silver Tier (or the basic tier): 4Mbps down/384kbps up (500KBps down/48KBps up)

Gold Tier (or the higher tier): 6Mbps down/768kbps up (750KBps down/96KBps up)

i use a router, a dlink. i have the basic comcast package. i would guess that there is not much i can do to increase my upload.

Some recent outages and changes with upgrades in broadband across the US with Comcast and others. If Comcast has made some upgrades in your area lately you might need to power cycle your modem to notice any changes. This might not have anything to do with your download speeds. Make sure you don't have too many overall connections, for example 60, 80, might be too much and could be flooding or choking your bandwidth as well if your uploads are above 10-15? Experiment with different settings and see what happends.

does the light on the bittornado window turn green? or does it stay yellow. If it stays yellow than it's probably because your router's firewall is blocking that port, so you'd have to open up the ports for it. If it's green than try lowering your upload, you could be uploading to much and that is killing your connection. Other than that it may just be the torrent.

Open up more ports and allow for more connections in your BT client.

enuffsaid said:
Open up more ports and allow for more connections in your BT client.
Most descent clients only need a single port these days as it's only for incoming traffic anyhoo. ;) Also allowing more connections isn't really going to do much other then make sure your sharing your minimal bandwidth between more people. Also there is a point were opening more points won't do anything, as your client won't connect to them all, and will just eat more resources.

seperatist said:
i am using bittornado to upload and my speed seems to get no higher than 27kb/s. i have comast broadband and thought i could get a faster upload. is there anything i can do other then get another provider or do i just deal?
Well 27KB/s doesn't seem much off from your max ~48KB/s (so like ~10KB/s). Are you using the default port range for BT? If so only advice I have is maybe try changing that and see what happends, perhaps your ISP is throttling BT traffic.

@Xie

True, but in the client I use, I can allow for more connections AND select that the client only selects connections to peers with an upload greater than ...

And opening more connections has GREATLY improved my download speeds.

enuffsaid said:
@Xie

True, but in the client I use, I can allow for more connections AND select that the client only selects connections to peers with an upload greater than ...

And opening more connections has GREATLY improved my download speeds.
You are in the minority then. Advice is usally given to try less ports as increasing the number can usally only cause slower speeds and someone ending up flooding themself. :) Also why increase ports so you can connect to more and then turn around and limit. Seems it would be better to stick w/ the default # of ports (which is usally plenty high already) and have no limits?

Xie said:
You are in the minority then. Advice is usally given to try less ports as increasing the number can usally only cause slower speeds and someone ending up flooding themself. :) Also why increase ports so you can connect to more and then turn around and limit. Seems it would be better to stick w/ the default # of ports (which is usally plenty high already) and have no limits?

Well, I guess I am then. Yet it does work for me. I know all about flooding yourself... been there, done that, learned a lesson or two. And where did I say I limit myself. I only select connections from other peers with FAST connections. No need to connect to 14K peers or peers who have capped their upload to some incredibly low amound.

But hey... whatever works for you. Nothing wrong with suggesting what works for me, is there? It just might work for him. Is there a problem with that?

enuffsaid said:
Well, I guess I am then. Yet it does work for me. I know all about flooding yourself... been there, done that, learned a lesson or two. And where did I say I limit myself. I only select connections from other peers with FAST connections. No need to connect to 14K peers or peers who have capped their upload to some incredibly low amound.
The fact that you select only peers with "fast" connections is indeed limiting. Also why be picky and not take all the bw you can get? Seems like your only hurting yourself in the end. It's like your fighting the way BT works.
But hey... whatever works for you. Nothing wrong with suggesting what works for me, is there? It just might work for him. Is there a problem with that?
No need to get so defencive. I was just pointing out that your advice might infact be conterproductive is all. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back