bsods, repeated boot crashing...

BlackScarletLove

Well, my pc BSOD's basically whenever I touch it or move it at all, and sometimes, often times, I'll just come home to a bsod. And often, I will have to boot the pc up 11 or 12 times before it will actually boot up and quit crashing in the middle. Also, I know when my pc is going to crash sometimes, because sometimes it literally chirps. Little chirps at around 1.5 second intervals, then it crashes.

I've included the bsod below... id prefer if my pc did not do that, especially fail to boot so many times. I've ran chkdsk, and its found stuff, but that takes about 20-30 min and i dont want to have to keep doing that. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• crash log small.jpg
    crash log small.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 331
90% chance of Bad RAM.

Try swapping your ram out and seeing if it cures the MCE.

What do you mean by swapping my ram out?

And what is...MCE??

(also, is there a program that will analyze my ram to determine whether or not it is faulty? It's never so much given me a problem for most of the 4 years ive had it...)

I mean replace it with new ram, or known good ram.

Machine Check Exception, it's right there in your photo.

Yes but your CPU is already telling you its failed.

Electronics fail all the time after extended use. RAM is no different.

... is there a program that will analyze my ram to determine whether or not it is faulty? It's never so much given me a problem for most of the 4 years ive had it...)
You can run memtest86 - google it, not hard to find - from a boot floppy or similar.... be sure to run it for a good while to test RAM.

What lord means by swapping your RAm out is replacing the memory chips in their slots inside the machine, this is not such a big deal to do, but if you feel it is beyond you then you'll be taking it to a repair shop anyway.

Are there intervals to the chirps? Like X....X....X or maybe X.X.X or maybe X...X..........XXXXXXX

Basically are some longer than others or is it constant? how many chirps?

somewhere around ten chirps around 1.5 seconds apart, then the pc crashes... do you know what it is?

if it doesnt chirp then instead it makes a soft scratchy noise, then a tick... (schhhh-Tick.... schhhh-Tick...) and I know it is about to bail on me. It just happened three times in ten minutes and seems to have a difficult time booting up afterwards and is really slow...

The unfortunate thing about hardware problems is pretty much the only way to fix it is to go and pawn your testicles and purchase new hardware, which really sucks, cuz I am impoverished, lol.
And the unfortunate thing about http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284 is that the info it gives is so vague... I don't know if it's my ram, or my bus or my processor... and besides running that ram test thing as soon as I get a floppy to use, I really have no idea how to tell.

One thing I wonder though is, is it damaging my computer, or just tremendously annoying? If it continues on without action will there be harm done to my pc?

...it makes a soft scratchy noise, then a tick... (schhhh-Tick.... schhhh-Tick...) .... If it continues on without action will there be harm done to my pc?

this sounds like the hard drive, but not sure if it indicates failure. Do not worry about harming the PC, if it is dying it is just dying. You do not have to accept it is all dead right off and you have two suspects immediately most likely, memory and hard drive. Neither cost so much as new PC.... plus you are lucky that you can probably run memtest to check if it is that one. IF you buy a new hard drive you can use that in any system anyway - get SATA if your board supports it. While your system is not totally dead create that boot floppy anyway and run it as a matter of urgency, other thing to invest in is a backup of your system if you do not have one and need to keep stuff, because HD failure is going to take your data with it so maybe that is even more urgent if you do not have it yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back