Browser Poll!

hanve't tried the other progs yet...

I like my IE mainly due to the convenience it offers and it is integrated with winxp so there is no incompatibility issue...

I have anti-virus and firewall software AND I have a router, plus I am running off of a server at home... lol so I am not that worried about someone hacking into my POS system...

if you do you lubly jubly hackers out there... congratulations... you will encounter the slowest computer this side of galapagos where the INtel tortoise edition with 1 bit of cache came out...

:) but seriously... I have to give mozilla and opera a shot... they seem to be getting good ratings here...

btw... netscape I have used on both my mates apple notebook (whatever its called) and on my pc to 'test' it out... and it is crud... I don't like the interface, and with so many websites desgined using MS software, its all garbled in netscape... I just don't like the layout... it used to be good when I was highschool/prehighschool... but it just stinks now..

Originally posted by mbunny
Why doesn't anyone like Mozilla???

It is the most standards compliant browser (and yet hotmail thinks its incompatible, *cough* microsoft *cough*, and encourages users to use Internet Explorer)
Mozilla is more standards compliant "by the book", yes. But the trouble with Internet Explorer being so mainstream is Microsoft are actually dictating the standards. IMO the standard is what is most common, not strictly by-the-book.
In practise, You have to accept the fact that IE will currently render more pages properly than any other browser, even though it is the pages themselves that stray from standard.

kr0m... IE is faster than Netscape to load because IE is loaded when you start Windows. Its loaded into memory whether you want it to be or not.
This is not completely true. Some parts of IE are loaded with windows, not all.
If you go back to an old OS like NT4 or 95 where there was completely no IE integration, it still loads a lot faster than Netscape.

IE is more prone to security issues mainly because it is the most widely used browser available. Why would hackers try and hack an obscure piece of software?
Actually, I don't think Internet Explorer has any more security issues than other browsers. My complaint was simpily the time it takes for M$ to fix them. (Mozilla & Opera are both patched quickly)
Also, it can be GOOD when your browser is popular as more vulnerabilities are fixed. It is a continued debate over if open-source software is more or less secure. (short answer it is less secure now, more secure in the long run - if we ever get to that point).

I'd also like to point out that not all security issues involve a hacker on the other side, and Some security flaws are cross-browser because they are a flaw in the standard itself.

I tried to keep this unbiased, I just wanted to make these comments. Like I said, I'm by no means a IE fan and looking into alternatives.

IE is the one for me. I use Opera occasionally and I like it also, I just forget to use it. Netscape....... well, I did my Escape from that one. Never tried the other two, yet.

looks like IE is kickin' butt, again.

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html

This page is a good example of why Mozilla is better than IE.

Why should we accept half assed practices as standards when we should be discouraging this.

Mozilla is the closest rival to IE. Opera is good but they've started to include features that are totally against their whole philosophy of being the browser without the fat. That and its adware unless you pay. Mozilla is free all the way.

Lets not be complacent and just accept things as they are. With the advent of SP1 for XP I hope a lot more people will consider moving to Mozilla.

This is not a anti-microsoft thing. It's the mere fact that Mozilla is superior to IE. I used to use IE cause it was there. It was convenient. This is the whole basis of the Anti-Trust case. Anticompetitive practices by Microsoft (which i think is absolute bullshit. As if you wouldn't promote your own products for use especially when you are providing it for free. Lets pay for alternatives when its perfectly easy to use pre-existing elements that do the job)

err... i got side tracked there.....

IE = good but not that good
Opera = good but they've become hypocrits
Mozilla = god
Netscape = Mozilla but with Spy/Ad ware.

yeah... mozilla is good.. opera's good.... but whaccagonnado.... IE is built in windows... works perfectly for every website you can find ... then security or speed is not the concern of most people... why would 56kers spends 2 hours downloading mozilla or opera with java to do what windows already provided... then after using IE for sometime you get comfortable with the interfaces and shortcuts you don't want to learn to use other browsers....

Hummmm All browser's have there points. I have tried them all. It would be a toss up between IE and Opera. I like them both, however, IE is eaiser when it comes to searching.

The problem is IE is part of the OS. And don't say it isn't. Even in NT4 and 95, if you tried to kill IE Windows took a serious dump. I don't mean just disable I mean totally remove. If Windows came since day 1 with no Browser of any kind installed and you yourself had to choose an Internet Browser then the Poll would be very different. All of the Browsers mentioned have good qualities and problems. IE has always been the one with the most security holes. Mozilla/Netscape the more compliant but also with it's share of problems. And Opera the fastest but not as kind to some Web sites. I use all of them because I Built and maintain my Jobs Web site. So I have to make sure everything works on all Browsers. But... I have always been loyal to Mozilla for their idea of open source. Plus, weren't they the first? Mozilla 1 looks good. Netscape 7 prerelease 1 is a good candidate to shake IE from it's perch. But the Jury's still out. I just wish AOL/TimeWarner would have kept they're Corporate meat hooks out of it. But then without the backing of their Big Business money Netscape wouldn't be doing anything :(

I have used the likes of opera and netscape in the past but whilst opera did impress me with some nice features, it doesnt format all pages properly and also suffers from the odd crash. Netscape has the same problem with unable to format some pages right. So its IE6 for me, for those of you who havent dared to try IE6 SP1 is looking very promising so far.

Try Mozilla ;)

Its not a problem of Opera and Netscape unable to display the page properly, its that people have gone into the rut of developing webpages so that it works on IE. IE doesn't do things properly, if it works on IE it doesn't necessarily mean it'll work on other browsers.

The SP only fixed up security issues.

SP1 has changed the way downloads work, and I have noticed a considerable speed increase of webpages. And I expect you are right about IE is what loads pages wrong but the fact users write pages to work in IE unfortanetly means its bad for opera etc.

Speed Increase in browsing prolly finally is at the same speed as Mozilla and Opera.

Mozilla and Opera have resume functions built into them whereas IE still hasn't... something i find very useful.

Fight against complacency and tell your local member of congress!!!

What about Netcaptor????

NONE of the above. Netcaptor is the best. F the rest.

of course IE is going to win the poll even more than it would on an average page.
This forum is for MS users.
The same thing would happen with linux vs windows here.

Opera Will Be King

when all the bugs are worked out nothing can match Opera.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back