Broadcast Collision Domains?

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
HI i was trying to figure out the difference but i can seem to find a good definition of either of these terms. Broadcast Domain .... Collision Domain. I have been trying to learn it but it wont make sense to me when i read it off Google searches. Anyone can please offer me some help with a nice easy to understand definition please. I would appreciate it.

Eagle710

HI i was trying to figure out the difference but i can seem to find a good definition of either of these terms. Broadcast Domain .... Collision Domain. I have been trying to learn it but it wont make sense to me when i read it off Google searches. Anyone can please offer me some help with a nice easy to understand definition please. I would appreciate it.

Eagle710

Imagine you have a the following setup

.........Router
........../.....\
....switch...switch

there are 2 broadcast domains in the above crude diagram, because layer 3 devices(routers) DO NOT forward broadcasts. Only layer 1 (hubs) and layer 2 (switches) do. A Broadcast domain is only segregated by a layer 3 or higher device that will not forward the broadcasts. So Each switch is its own broadcast domain. Make sence?

A collision domain, is basically non exsistant today. Basically it is any segmant where collisions can happen. You cannot have collisions on a layer 3 device or a layer 2 device. So each port on a switch is a collision domain. a layer 1 device (hub) WILL be a big collision domain because packets can cause collisions due to i want to say being half duplex. I think i am wrong there. But a 24 port switch will have 24 collision domains.

Hope i helped.

A collision domain, is basically non exsistant today. Basically it is any segmant where collisions can happen. You cannot have collisions on a layer 3 device or a layer 2 device. So each port on a switch is a collision domain.

But a 24 port switch will have 24 collision domains.

Well, to be a little more particular, as each collision domain is a segment, a port is not a segment, the segment would be the connection from one port to another port on a switch, meaning, each port on a 24 port switch could technically take part in up to 23 collision domains (1 collision domain for each "segment" to the other ports on the switch) :p

Broadcast Domains i get but im stilling have difficulty understanding which devices allow or cause collision domains?? Thanks all for your tutoring lessons.

Basically, only a hub will allow a collision domain. Generally, who uses hubs anymore? Don't use a hub.. buy a switch..

im assuming this is for school.....
a Hub = one big collision domain.
a switch = Many collision domains

and in this case, one big collision domain is a bad thing..

im assuming this is for school.....

Yeah this is for school i got Cisco test coming up and the stupid book doesn't explain these details very good. So i thought i would Google which didn't settle properly in my head but OSNN did so.... Thank you

Yeah this is for school i got Cisco test coming up and the stupid book doesn't explain these details very good. So i thought i would Google which didn't settle properly in my head but OSNN did so.... Thank you

Cisco test eh? Good luck!

Did the test and thanks to your help with BCs and DCs help i was able to answer the question... of course doesnt mean i got it right. LOL... we will see in two weeks. Thanks again all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back