Broadband Question

Originally posted by GoNz0
i think you know what i mean enyo, cables always been known as a cable modem etc, and broadband terminology hit in the uk with ADSL :)

So thats what you were driving at :p I think your right the term broadband did hit the UK mainstream with ADSL yes but thats not to say cable co's should not describe there products as broadband.

64k, 128k, 384k, anything under 512k is Narrowband in my view, as SPeedY_B mentioned, 512k upwards is true Broadband Internet speeds

You can put a dial-up modem on the phoneline even if you have ADSL. Dial-up is just like voice, you dial to someone, in this case a modem pool and then they communicate using strange signals.

A dial-up modem is just like a normal telephone, but for computers.

512k upwards is true Broadband Internet speeds
..For the UK (and possibly other countries) anyway, those out there sitting on 3.5mb, 10mb, 26mb, or even 100mb will see 512k as narrowband, I think the term 'broadband' just confuses things, connectivity should just be based on speed, and not given a name to groups except for the actual method of connection like Dial-up, cable, DSL, OC, ISDN and so forth.
It also suprises me when people don't know what connection they have and will just reply "cable" or "broadband" when asked due to the way in which it has been marketed to them.

Interesting. So in the UK they don't split the DSL/Phone signals until you get to the device? Or did I misread this?

In the USA the splitter is installed at the junction box on the outside wall. They then connect the phone side of the splitter output to the existing house phone line twisted pair and attach the ADSL/DSL side of the splitter output to a seperate twisted pair in the existing house phone wiring. Most USA phone lines inside the house have 3 twisted pair to allow for up to 3 seperate phone numbers in the house. They use one of these to carry the split out ADSL/DSL signal througout the house so you can attach a DSL modem wherever you want. After install of DSL you are down to 2 wire circuits for phone service.

If you have an old house the existing wire may not support the DSL signal (Cat 3 minimum , Cat 5 prefered) and you would have to run a new wire from the junction box to wherever you want to put your DSL modem.

You can, and I have run fax or dialup over the phone lines while running DSL over it's seperate wire.

PS Broadband has been perverted to mean anything better than dial up which includes ISDN at a pathetic 128kbps. The true meaning of broadband is "whatever speed gives you personally an ear to ear grin". :)

SPeedY_B, yes marketing should call it broadband 512 or broadband 1Meg so the consumer can differentiate.

Chris, your judging it in speed anything lower than 512 is still broadband in technical terms, its just slower broadband.

As faster speeds become available we may have to go a step further and call it megaband :p

I think we are deeply lost in the world of semantics now.

LeeJend, yeah, we just bung a splitter in the socket :)
like this .....
P0039530_C0000002_P0000000.jpg

in the UK we have this thing called "wires only" which enables the ISP's to simply sell you the connection and nothing more, so you have to get your own modem (meaning you can shop around and get it cheaper) and split the signal yourself (my isp forced me to buy 1 of their splitters, and I bought 2 really cheap ones from elsewhere, again this is cheaper than sending an engineer round to mess with the connections etc)

Bell South DSL

I used to have Bell South DSL and now I have cable but Bell south leaves the dialup connection for you to use as a backup if the dsl is down. I've installed many a dsl modem, I mean its simple but i think its a good feature cause most of my customers are not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
You need filters on every socket (that has something attached to it) the one side of the filter will only be used by your DSL modem, the other side is used for anything that went into your phone line before it was DSL enabled.
So phones, fax machines, and dial-up modems go in the filter.

In this house we have three phones, and one DSL modem, the phones downstairs are using filters, and the phone and DSL modem share a filter upstairs.

Hope that helps :)

can you use normal telephone extension cord for the dsl/adsl modem?

so long as you remember to put the filter after the extension, line noise comes with a long cable after a filter.

so....broadband includes 128k ISDN?

cause i got a T1 and i think its kinda slow....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back