brand new power toys are here

Yeah, put t on the frontpage 40 mins ago ;)

'clusive for the Punk ;)

I'm not uninstalling my old ones untill you guys give me a rating

A rating?

Well the TweakUI app has been updated and thats pretty much the only one I ever used anyway...

As far as I can tell... only a small change to the auto-logi feature... Thats it.

Can PowerToys be downloaded from anywhere other than the Micro$oft web site ?
Everytime I go to their site my comp goes into melt-down mode.

I have put a mirror on the frontpage, 1 package that will download them all. 2.6 megs or so.

dirk, why would you download this program, when it's nothing differant then the old one?

It never hurt to just have a look, and you never know there might be something really small but useful that M.S. included.

As it turns out I did find something interesting, not really useful.

I have no "Log Off" on my "Start Menu" (you know, next to "Shut Down") but I could still Log Off by giving it the three-finger salute.

But with using TweakUi, if you untick the "Allow Log Off on Start Menu" it will be removed from the three-fingered salute too.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't indorsing this waste of time..

Someone told me that while the old TweakUI allowed logging on to a Domain with the Home Edition, this seems to be no longer possible with the new version. Pretty obvious from the M$ point of view, but there may be other opinions around. Now I didn't know this was possible in the first place, it's interesting to know that one should hang on to the old version for a little bit longer.

well, the option to log on to a domain looked like it was there, but it couldn't work in a home xp...this is what started the myth...but in the end, the myth was false

i notice one thing is missing.... the use of winkey+q to quickly change between users...

On www.wxperience.com/tips.php found this:

Getting on a domain with XP Home Edition
Thanx to: NTCompatible
Method 1:
This can also be accomplished with the free and widely available Xteq X-Setup 6.1 http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/ by navigating to the NetworkAuto LoginWindows NT/2K/XPSettings option within X-Setup. Simply enter the appropriate information and click Apply Changes - upon your next reboot you can then join domains with WinXP Home Edition. Problem solved. X-Setup includes many other useful Windows XP tweaks/hacks/etc. for Windows XP as well, all free for personal use.

Method 2:
As Serdar Yegulalp pointed out in his Win2kPowerUsers newsletter today also, this can be accomplished using Microsoft's TweakUI for Windows XP, but that has been pulled from Microsoft's website for the time being. I feel that it is very possible, if not highly probable, that Microsoft will prevent this workaround from being used with future versions of TweakUI with Windows XP Home Edition, as they authored both Windows XP and TweakUI, and they don't want Windows XP Home Edition users to be able to join network domains. A copy of TweakUI for WinXP can be obtained at http://www.majorgeeks.com.

So, Dealer: are you sure it's a myth? I must confess I've never tried it, because I just didn't know. But this seems very authentic....

binary, I'm not sure it's a myth, I do know that the best informed people I know have said that they tried as best they could, and couldn't manage the domain activity with tweak ui...btw, it is interesting that the article says it's possible, but then doesn't give the method...Right now, I'm beleiving the experts...but if you know anything about me, it's that I love discrediting accepted ideas...so, I'm hoping the myth is in fact true...

according to relder, here's the problem...with xp, in order to log onto a domain, you have to join the domain, and that's not possible with xp home....now I don't have xp pro, but if I did, I'd look for the option to manually enter domain units from the home unit...if that's possible, then tweak ui might let you log in, once another computor has somehow joined you to the domain

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back