Boy in Gown Denied Entrance to Prom

technokid88

Part of a System
0_21_052406_prom.jpg

GARY, Ind. — A male student who has worn women's clothes to school all year was turned away from his high school prom because he was wearing a dress.

Kevin Logan, 18, went to the West Side High School prom on Friday in a slinky fuchsia gown and heels. He believes officials discriminated against him by not allowing him inside.
"I have no formal pictures, no memories, nothing. You only have one prom," he said.
Logan, who is gay, received an $85 refund for his prom ticket Tuesday but was not satisfied. He said he is considering filing a complaint with the Indiana Civil Liberties Union.
Sylvester Rowan, assistant to Gary Schools Superintendent Mary Steele, said school policy bans males from wearing dresses. Excluding Logan from prom was based on "the dress code, not the student's homosexuality. That's his personal preference."
Tyrone Hanley, the youth program coordinator for the Gender Public Advocacy Coalaiton in Washington, D.C., said he often sees cases like this and called it gender-based discrimination.
"Prohibiting really short skirts for everyone is a fair dress code; prohibiting them for males is not," he said.
Logan said he had spent years defining and exploring his sexuality. This year, he took a major step by dressing as a female every day, wearing makeup, a hair weave, nails and girls' fitted jeans to school.
His mother, Donnetta Logan, said she was not surprised by what she called the ignorance of school administrators.
"I tell Kevin that in society there will be those who accept him and those who won't."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196830,00.html
---------------------
What do you guys think the school should of done, i think they should of let him in since he was already going to school like this...lol

There's always a few of these stories every year. I say if he wants to wear a dress, let him, but make sure he understands and accepts that this will probably draw negative attention since it is unusual behavior.

Petros said:
There's always a few of these stories every year. I say if he wants to wear a dress, let him, but make sure he understands and accepts that this will probably draw negative attention since it is unusual behavior.

If he wore clothes like that to school, he already understood that. They should have let him in.

I bet they are sorry they did not let him in.... my guess is there was a little ignorance at the actual door or venue (being English I have little idea what a prom is or how it runs).... but my guess is the school management are wishing he WAS allowed in and they did not have to deal with the likely ensuing publicity

If the dress is "within the dress code" for the prom (and it certainly appears it would be), then he should have been permitted to attend.

No different than women wearing those "business suits" (which look like men's suits) to work everyday!

I can not believe Gary, IN school officials are that backwards - I mean he's been in them "girlie jeans" and makeup all year! :suprised:

If it was against dress codes for boy to wear dresses to that school; they should have don't something about it during the school year. Not wait till the prom.

I have two words: LAW SUIT !

You would hit anything.

I think they were wrong based on the set of standards thay have used throught out the year, and in general.

Mainframeguy said:
(being English I have little idea what a prom is or how it runs)....

Prom= Formal dance in High School for the senior class (last year of high school or 12 grade). Also known as Senior Prom.

Usually close to end of Senior year. Also, some High Schools have a Junior Prom. Same difference.

If you happened to have seen the last Harry Potter movie, the formal dance they had.

Hmm
Considering the little amount of money that public schools have, he would't get much.
And if it happened to be a private school, then he wouldn't get anything...
Private schools are bound by no laws (except murder, and other big felonies).

Good stuff, was there any guys in dresses trying to get in lol.. if this guy tries to sue he wont get anything, school can say it would cause a disturbance

falconguard said:
Whattaya doing back so early?

Cause it was done and over with, and I have to get up at 600 in the morning to get into a car, and drive down to the shore house!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back