Bought a second comp, what to do....?

Android412

OSNN Addict
Last night I was fortunate enough to get another computer from work, CHEAP. $150 CAD for a AMD64 3000+, 512mb Ram, 160gig HD, DVD burner, and the case it came in. No mouse, keyboard, or anything like that, but hey thats what staff purchase is for :) .

Now that question is, what should i do with it. My main thought is to hook it up to my main tv downstairs and use it as a PVR/Media player. Now the questions that go along with that are which one would be better for the PVR, compared to my gaming/video editing/downloading/day to day stuff. The AMD or my Intel 3.2Ghz(oc to 3.52ghz).

Other factors are the one video card I currently have, an ATI 9600XT, although I've been meaning to upgrade to a BFG 6600GT OC for awhile now, although the money isn't really there to spare right now. And the gig of RAM, so 1.5 gigs between the two.

Any thoughts?

After using the AMD64 for about an hour, it doesn't anywhere near as fast as the intel, at basically everything. Didn't play any games though, didn't feel like switching the video card out.

I'm not too familar with AMD, but I thought I understood it as these two should basically be the same. Would the extra 512mb of RAM make that much difference, or is it all processor.

Any thoughts?

I'd have thought that if the systems were equal, only differing in processors, then you'd have an interesting stand off.

Personally, i'd say use the Intel as the media one, just out of preference for AMD being used as the main pc, if you're splashing out on a newer card and ram - best performance for games and likes would be the 64bit imo

Hope this makes sense, i'll come back when i've woken up :crosseyed:

wake up moonwraith :p

I go with Moonwraith on that one. :)

ming said:
wake up moonwraith :p

I go with Moonwraith on that one. :)

Been a long day at work, and it's been too damn hot for it. :(

By rights, from what i've seen in the past the Intel systems have a tendency of running better as media systems, I mean - music encoding times iirc (and don't yell at me if i'm wrong :() are quicker with the Pentium processor!

I'm an AMD man myself, s'why i'd recommend it on your main pc - Future proof it for the 64bit OSs cropping up now and in the future (next windows etc)

nice upgrade btw ming :p finally?

Moonwraith said:
nice upgrade btw ming :p finally?

Yep, been searching for ya on forum but never see ya to tell ya the great news. lol :p

Was wanting to get the 3500+ SanDiego and 1GB ram... but couldn't wait any longer so had to spend £40 more for the 3700+ instead. As for the ram.. stupid OCUK spent the parcel even after I called in to cancel it... couldn't be bothered to waste money on sending it back so kept it as extra mem.. hehe

Android412 said:
Last night I was fortunate enough to get another computer from work, CHEAP. $150 CAD for a AMD64 3000+, 512mb Ram, 160gig HD, DVD burner, and the case it came in. No mouse, keyboard, or anything like that, but hey thats what staff purchase is for :)

Thats some system for the price :D

Well my understanding is that in some things the A64 is a bit faster... That said, having half the memory (512 MB vs. 1 GB) could make a difference.

I mean I've got 512 MB in my AXP 1900+ here, and it's using 394 MB running winXP, BOINC, (some other things like AV software), and a web browser... Loading anything more, and it easily goes over a commit charge of 512 MB, and has to swap... I do have 2 10 rpm SCSI HDs, and the swapfile split between both of them, so that helps a bit (with drive speed for paging), but still it's gotta swap...

Other thing that could make a difference, what gfx card did your newer system come with? Is it older/lower end then the gfx card in your older rig?

no card, just the onboard, but as I said ealier, I have the one ATI 9600xt right now, but would buy a second card.

Hey Android,

I got an idea, I send you $200, you send me that CPU/RAM/Mobo/DVDDrive, keep the HD. :)

I live in Edmonton.

Yadda you Say?

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hey Android,

I got an idea, I send you $200, you send me that CPU/RAM/Mobo/DVDDrive, keep the HD. :)

I live in Edmonton.

Yadda you Say?

Heeter

Hell if I had the money Id buy it, Im closer, Hamilton. :D

DOH!!

AM, did I ever tell you that you have nice hair? on your avatar. LOLOL

This one's mine, AM. LOLOLOL

Heeter

Heeter said:
DOH!!

AM, did I ever tell you that you have nice hair? on your avatar. LOLOL

This one's mine, AM. LOLOLOL

Heeter

Is that suppose to be a joke cuz if it is I dont get it, could be cause Im tired and its 3:20am.

You can have it, I would like to kno where Android412 works tho :D

I guess I am bagged too, hence the stupid comment. Its too late here too.

Heeter

Hey, Heeter, no chance. Think I'm gonna do a pvr with Linux/MythTV, just gotta find a decent tuner card/remote. Any ideas?

And AM, I work at Futureshop in Burlington. It was open box/repaired. But they replaced the whole MB, so its all good.

Android412 said:
And AM, I work at Futureshop in Burlington. It was open box/repaired. But they replaced the whole MB, so its all good.

Hmm, I'm trying to find a job that deals with fixing computers, Ive applied to FS in Hamilton. I have a question, are you guys on commission (any position)?

Just some people as of June 1st. It's two or three per dept. that are comm, and the 2-4 that aren't, but you could always start non-comm, then go to comm, if your good enough.

BTW you wouldn't really be fixing, or even builing them, unless you were in the tech/install dept.

Android412 said:
Just some people as of June 1st. It's two or three per dept. that are comm, and the 2-4 that aren't, but you could always start non-comm, then go to comm, if your good enough.

BTW you wouldn't really be fixing, or even builing them, unless you were in the tech/install dept.

Well I would like to get into the tech/install dept, do you know what the requirements are?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back