Both CD drives disappeared in Xp

K

katerich

Hi,

I hope someone can help me,

We installed XP and had no problems, and then burnt a CD using NERO, the cd seemed to burn ok,
but when we rebooted both the CD and CD-RW have disappeared. No drive listed in My Computer, and obviously i cant reinstall from CD

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Rich

Have you tried going into system properties>hardware>device manager and scan for hardware, or to see if the hardware is there but not installed properly?

Also does your bios see the cd roms (ie when you boot up)?

you may also want to try add/new hardware in the control panel and detecting them, if not installing them manually.....

Thanks,

It doesnt seem to recognise the cd's at startup, but did before and afer installing xp, also tried to install new hardware but cant find the cdrom from the list,

Hmm odd that the drives would just dissappear...

One obvious thing to check if the drives are actually powering up and working...i mean can you put a disk in it and hear it physically spinning up (just put an audio cd in and plug in some headphones into the socket at the front, and see if you can hear anything).

also when you rebooted did you try last working configuration of xp?? (f8 on boot up)?

This happens a lot with various burning software. You can use this method to fix the problem:

Go to your registry editor. (go to start run type in regedit)

Find this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight the CDRom Drive Key(s) delete the Values UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters

Open Device Manager (Winkey-Break or start/run type 'sysdm.cpl / Hardware Tab)

Remove the entry for the cd device(s) then restart.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back