Bootvis

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I know i've seen a fix for this but too lazy to dig for it.

Bootvis works great for the 1st boot, then it slows down again.

What can I do to keep the quick boot?

Well if bootvis is slowing down again it would mean something is altering the changes bootvis made, since all bootvis basically does is move the frequently used startup files to the beginning of the drive and such, always make sure your drive is regularly defragmented :)

I got 1 min. from hitting the restart button back to usable desktop. 33 sec. from hitting power button to usable desktop. 5 sec. less if unplug my camera, but I used more than just bootvis to get it. Used to make seven to eight passes of the line on the boot screen. Now it's 1 without Cam and 2 to 3 with Cam plugged in. The following is how I got mine------------------------------------Use BootVis optimization tool to optimize computer boot speed. Reboot and see if boot has improved. Go to prefetch and either delete all files or delete NTOBOOT file. Go to regedit.
(prefetch will start prefetching fresh copies on reboot)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/current controlset/Control/SessionManager/Memory Management/PrefetchParameters

Click on EnablePrefetcher and change the value from (3) to (1). Now close regedit and reboot.

This will still allow prefetching, but not the NTOBOOT file which is apparently XP's own boot trace prefetch file. This seems to allow holding of the BOOTVIS Optimization without trying to overide it with XP's boot tracing and optimization.

This fix is experimental, but has worked great for me. I noticed when you would use BootVis you would get one fast reboot then it would slow down. After using the above it holds the fast boot
always.( WARNING: This may not be reversible except by system restore. Make sure you create a good restore point if you don't want to chance it.)

All prefetch does is cache frequently used files & programs. If you have it set to 2 or 3 (which caches the boot process), then the bootstrap loader looks to the cache folder (\windows\prefetch) for those programs that load at bootup before looking anywhere else. In theory there is no reason I can think of for this process not be faster than not having it enabled (sorry about the double negative:cool: )

I'm not suggesting it's good or bad, just explaining how prefetch works. Theoretically, your "fix" should not speed up the boot process, but if you say it does on your system I believe you. And I guess others might find it helps them too - just not sure why, that's all.

Well, I have to apologize. On another site someone complained of very slow boot time all of a sudden and said BootVis didn't help. So I referenced our dialog on this thread and suggested that even though I didn't see how it could help, there was no harm in changing his Prefetch setting from 3 to 1. He did, and now he says his system boots at the speed it used to (faster, that is).

So it seems there is some validity to the claim that on some systems enabling the boot cache in prefetch can actually counteract the effects of BootVis. More proof that no two systems are alike. Anyway, apparently wonderworm is correct.

Ref: Boot Optimization

The fix for retaining the bootviz optimization by editing the registry is irreversable ? is it ? I thought by the same process of changing the value from 3 to 1 could also be reversed to the original value of 1 can it not ? I am going to give this fix a try but before I venture I would like to make sure that I can change back the value as before without going to the resore point as I have turned off my system resource. Would like a comment or two. Thanks

-

If you kindly look up at what wonderworm is saying in his post. The fix is not reversable. I was wondering why, because according to him the value in the registry should be changed from 3 to 1. So if I don't like the settings I could go back to the regedit and change the values back to 3 can't I ?

The reason i put might not be reversible is cause i tried it and it blue screened on my machine. That's not to say that it will do the
the same on yours. I used system restore and that fixed it. I am
still using the boot fix and it works great. So really there is no need to reverse it. But I put that in in case you try reversing the
registry settings as a precautionary possibility. I don't know why this works it just does on everyones computer that i have given it to. So if you want faster boots this will do it. I f you take the time to figure out all the whys let me know. I just invented the fix I can't know everything. I do know that it stops xp from making new copys of the boot file in prefetch. This would logically mean that it keeps it from erasing the one that you made with bootvis i presume, and that is why it holds the faster boot time. Haven't had time to look further into why it works, but the above i have checked out. Anyway, i doubt it will destroy your computer and if you dare to be adventurous have fun.

Ok, I understand all of the above, just haven't had time to try it. Another question... From what I've read, defrag destroys any progress made by Boot Vis. Isn't this kinda daft? Also, would using boot time defrag in Diskeeper 7 destroy any gains by Boot Vis?

"would using boot time defrag in Diskeeper 7 destroy any gains by Boot Vis"

The purpose behind any defragmenter that performs a boot time defrag (PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, O&O Defrag) - is to defragment files that can not be defragmented online. This includes the pagefile, hibernate file, directories on FATx partitions, and metadata files on NTFS partitions. Boot time defrags are something that are typically NOT performed on a frequent basis. What we recommend to our customers is to perform a boot time defrag and then run BootVis. I don't know what the Diskeeper folks recommend to their customers.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk, a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

I also have noticed that defrag slows the boot time once you get it the way you want it. You have to redo bootvis again afterwards.
I would presume that if bootvis is moving the boot files to the front of the drive defrag is changing the position on the drive again thus altering the boot settings that bootvis made. Not a real problem as XP does not to need defragging as much as the
old OS. It would be nice to know if there is a way around this though. Maybe Bill G. intended for it to boot at the speed we all were getting before we started tweaking around with it. Oh. well.
Something else to improve for free for Mr. G. so he can charge you more for the next OS he puts out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back