BootVis not working.

Frico

OSNN Newbie
I've got a slow starting XP (xp bar using around 1 min to finish). I got told to try out BootVis. My problem now is that BootVis isnt showing any thing. No graph's at all. They are all blank when BootVis pops up after reboot.

So what am I doing wrong?

Think you should defrag using PerfectDisk.

Bootvis won't help at all unless you've only just made a fresh install of Windows XP.

So is there a prog that can tell me whats happening under bootup? I did a BootLog using msconfig, but that didnt tell me much. Im not a computer wiz.

I would check as to what is running at startup -

Click Start - Run - type "msconfig" without the quotes. Look in the startup tab and uncheck any unnecessary items.

Also look in your event viewer, Start - Run - "eventvwr.msc" again no quotes. Look for any warnings or errors in the Application or System logs.

Post findings/results.

bootvis doesn't do anything the computer already does on it's own every three days.

you probably have some items in startup that shouldn't be there and some services that should be set to manual instead of automatic

especially the workstation service

now a bunch of people are going to send you to blackvipers website

he is uninformed and makes assumptions that are plain wrong and I don't recommend his thoughts verbatum

you can go there and experiment, but in just about every case where he suggests dissabling a service at the most you should do is set it to manual

even doing that you will have problems that you won't attribute to the service not running

perris said:
bootvis doesn't do anything the computer already does on it's own every three days.
That aside, you can also manually run the process in the command prompt with "defrag -b." A cleaned and normally defragged computer can run this process in a matter of seconds.

I've also noticed that BootVis and SP2 don't get along all that well. It was very cranky with me the last time I used it, and so I haven't used it since.

Melon

perris said:

you probably have some items in startup that shouldn't be there and some services that should be set to manual instead of automatic

especially the workstation service

now a bunch of people are going to send you to blackvipers website

he is uninformed and makes assumptions that are plain wrong and I don't recommend his thoughts verbatum

you can go there and experiment, but in just about every case where he suggests dissabling a service at the most you should do is set it to manual

even doing that you will have problems that you won't attribute to the service not running

So how do I find out what service that is not working?

kcnychief said:
Can you double click on the Service Control Manager Errors and post the log of the error?

Looks like that means a service is failing at startup:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314357

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1522/eventerror70005gv.jpg

posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
I must edmit that I've used a program called ServiWin. It makes a list over all the drivers that has started/stopped or runs. In a attempt to "fix" my problem I disabled some drivers. The drivers I disabled ,I found in the bootlog file that MsConfig makes (/BOOTLOG). In the list I saw that some drivers wouldnt load, so I disabled them. After reboot I found out that I should mess around with something I have no clue on what is, so enabled them. Problem is, I didnt know what kind of startup they had, so I sat most of them to 'system'. Here is the list of drivers that I turned off/on:

NDProxy.sys (automatic)
lbrtfdc.sys
SFloppy.sys
i2omgmt.sys
Changer.sys
Cdaudio.sys
i8042prt.sys
kbdhid.sys
PCIDump.sys
Rdbss.sys
MRxSmb.sys
IpNat.sys (manual)

Furthermore, bootVis is no longer supported by Microsoft.

madmatt said:
Furthermore, bootVis is no longer supported by Microsoft.

So I've hear... or read. But I still want to know what making my PC using so long to boot up. I counted the number of times the blue bar goes from left to right (XP loading screen): 32 times! From what I know that like 20-25 times to many.

Well in the end I got tired of XP using so long time to load in, so I installed a clean XP. But guess what! Right from the very first bootup after installing it, the blue loading bar never used less than 26 times from left to right!

So could this be a HW problem? I've got XP on a IDE HD, and just bought a new SATA HD. Can this cause any problems?

Frico said:
Well in the end I got tired of XP using so long time to load in, so I installed a clean XP. But guess what! Right from the very first bootup after installing it, the blue loading bar never used less than 26 times from left to right!

So could this be a HW problem? I've got XP on a IDE HD, and just bought a new SATA HD. Can this cause any problems?

It's not usually hardware problem. It's more to do with system file layout on the disk and the junk that's been put into the system's registry file (and drivers.)

I've got the opposite problem to yours, my machine takes ages to shut down and I can't find which app allows me to enable fast shutdown. :p

ming said:
I've got the opposite problem to yours, my machine takes ages to shut down and I can't find which app allows me to enable fast shutdown. :p

Run RegEdit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet(if you got 001, 002, 003 you need to do the same in those)\Control
Change the WaitToKillServiceTimeout? to 200 (default is 20000)

X-Setup pro can help, along with a crud free system.

I dropped my boot times by 20 seconds by adjusting services and using defrag.

Frico said:

hmm.. i'm having the same problem now since i had to reformat my drive. not sure what's causing it. never happened before, and i've not installed as many apps as i did before.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back