Boot up issue

Taggert_LOA

Modding Addict
Political Access
recently installed new mobo and processor and now my hdd won't boot up i keep getting a harware configuration error. I have Win Xp home installed on it. I tried a HD with Win 98 on it and it booted up no problem. I also tried booting from the Win XP Cd will only work if i disconnect the HD and then when i try to repair, i plug the HD back in and it says it didn't find the HD and i wind up back at square one. I have also tried all the boot options given at the error screen. any help would be greatly appreciated.

XP won't let you boot with such and extensive hardware change. To the OS it looks like it is now in another system. One of MS's ways of preventing piracy.

O.K. check cables and make sure you got right voltage running in. Boot with each new component, motherboard (duh of course) small amount of ram, add CD /dvd rom (what ever you got), floppy , ne other peripherals, boot each time you add one. Add HD connect cables correctly, make sure setting on drive are correct, like make sure it's a primary master, (make a boot disk from this iso and boot to cd rom drive and check for hd errors from it's diagnostic tools, here @ ftp://ftp.apl.washington.edu/archive/apps/ubcd221.zip ), other questions could ask, like is fan on properly over processor, you add grease, is it a configuration problem in cmos, like does it auto detect it as such? You have to be a doctor sometimes, keep trying different avenues, went through same ess ach I tee when I first built a PC;
If you have a blank hd try that. make sure all settings in bios are optimised setting first and run a check in hand book.

Just format hd if you must and start again.

well i held down f8 to select my boot device and it seems to be working. i'm now "reparing" the files. it just might work. i'll keep you guys posted.

i would but it's the womans computer, i'm not in the mood to backup all her files and then transfer them back. too much of a pain the the booty for me. plus, i'd have to re- dumb it down for her so she won't crash it again.:). it's better for me that it stays the way it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back