Boot Screen: NYC 08-14-03

LOL :D good one man. Im still in Manhattan. Jesus man what the help happened to our North East Grid? I lost half my body weight in the heat hole of 8-14

tehfunny.jpg

LOL boot screen

I lived through the ice storm that crippled Quebec and parts of Ontario, it lasted 14 days at my place , some people it was 6 weeks , dead of winter , ice storm , all power lines , poles , and the huge metal towers collasped under the weight of the ice. This one by the #'s of people was big , but in terms of damage and length The Ice Storm of the 90's was alot worse.

Sucks for those that are hit dont get me wrong, In this heat its terrible, just I am happy I was not touched this time, was tough trying to feed 3 kids with no power inm winter , no heat , no water, I had to go to a shelter after 4 days I gave up, then I found out my Dad had power so I drove out to his place with the kids beds attached to the roof of my car, we stayed there for the duration, I went home to frozen water pipes, that busted when heat came on , all our fish died , all our food was rotten , and the roof was damaged from the ice crushing it , oh and the phone lines were ripped off the side of the house by a falling tree.

:)

Guess that power outage made me remember just how bad it was when we got hit.

OTTAWA (CP) -- Almost a year after the great ice storm slammed Quebec, Ontario and parts of the Maritimes, Statistics Canada has produced a storm of numbers on precisely what went down.

More than 1,000 power transmission towers and 30,000 wooden utility poles, for starters.

Close to 1.4 million people in Quebec and 230,000 in Ontario without electricity. In many municipalities, power not fully restored for at least a week.

Approximately 100,000 people taking refuge in shelters.

More than 2.6 million people, 19 per cent of Canada's labour force, had difficulty getting to work or couldn't get to work at all.

It was the most disruptive and destructive storm in Canadian history, David Phillips, senior climatologist at the Environment Department, said in an interview Monday.

A month after the ice storm there were still 700,000 people without power, he noted.

It wasn't really a single storm, but rather three successive events that dumped as much as 100 millimetres of freezing rain on Central and Eastern Canada over the period Jan. 4 - 10.

By comparison, the largest previously recorded ice storms left some 30 to 40 millimetres of ice.

The storm covered a distance of more than 1,000 kilometres from Kitchener in southern Ontario to the Fundy coasts of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

It sparked the biggest peacetime deployment of Canadian troops ever. Nearly 16,000 Armed Forces personnel assisted with emergency measures and restoration of the power grid.

Nearly one quarter of the country's dairy cows - 274,000 - were in the affected areas and many could not be milked because farmers depend on mechanized milking.

Here just an idea of what it was that happened
:)

I was in Ottawa for the ice sotmr, only 1.5 weeks without power....I was lucky :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back